EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-11-08, 10:07 AM   #31
Higgy
The Gardener

I just checked our roof. I think it's ok. I'll take a better look next time we have a few days of sunlight. Our roof seems to be covered nicely with snow. And the icicle thing only happens on the south side of the house where the sun beats down on the roof, and then I think it only happens when we get really warm weather followed by cold. Thanks for the info.

Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 09:31 AM   #32
Daox
Administrator

I did what larry said and here is the pics. It looks like theres quite a bit of heat loss going on! You can clearly (expand the pictures) see the snow on the overhang is much thicker than the middle of the roof. Also, in the second picture you can see the heat rise from the porch roof combined with heat loss from the walls which are uninsulated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house397.jpg
Views:	2812
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	47   Click image for larger version

Name:	house402.jpg
Views:	2690
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	48  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 09:35 AM   #33
PaleMelanesian
Apprentice EcoRenovator

At least it's all very even. That means insulating the attic floor / house ceiling will likely be all you need.
PaleMelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 01:04 PM   #34
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Woo! we had the cellulose insulation blown into the attic last week just before a big storm. The house is cozier and the furnace is running about 1/4 to 1/5 as often as it did before!

What is really interesting is to look at the neighbor's homes and compare the depth of snow on the roofs. We still have an even 2-3 inches of snow on our roof, while the other homes have thin snow remaining over the eaves and the rest of the roof is clear.

I've sent off the rebate forms to the gas utility and (for once in my life) I am really looking forward to seeing the next gas bill!

More info here - Cellulose Insulated Attic Makes For a Cozy Home | EcoNewMexico.com

TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 05:02 PM   #35
Daox
Administrator

Well, about a week ago I blew in my cellulose. I did have some prep work to do. I needed to build a wall around the attic access door out of rigid foam. This could have been made of anything, but I went with foam. It was easy to work with and will eventually make a top for it.

I also made up my own kind of vents. The rigid board didn't quite go all the way up so as to hold back the cellulose. So, I stappled a bunch of plastic bags to the joists. Unfortunately, I lost pictures of it. Anyway, it worked great and the cellulose blowing went quite well. There is now roughly 15" above the 6" of fiberglass/rockwool. That should get me right in the area of R-60 (even after it settles) which was the original goal. Here are the pics.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house391.jpg
Views:	5511
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	80   Click image for larger version

Name:	house001.jpg
Views:	1434
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	81   Click image for larger version

Name:	house004.jpg
Views:	2439
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	82   Click image for larger version

Name:	house007.jpg
Views:	1554
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	83  

&
Old 01-29-09, 07:06 AM   #36
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I should have checked this thread before I started that one about attic loss . larryrose11 had a link all about it.

Wow Daox, Nice work. That should make a difference . Good idea making that raised platform.
jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 08:58 AM   #37
Higgy
The Gardener

Ya, good job man. Looks good.

Now, I see some plastic at the sides (picture number 3) where I'm guessing it's to protect the venting and not plug up the hole...do you have to remove that plastic after?
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 09:12 AM   #38
Daox
Administrator

Nope, the plastic is there to hold back the insulation from going down and clogging the air vent that was made by installing the foam board an inch from the roof itself. Its basically my DIY version of staple up plastic or foam vents you see in any home improvement store.

FYI I should mention that this has noticeably helped. It is now 1-3 degrees warmer in my bedroom which is upstairs.

&
Old 01-30-09, 11:24 AM   #39
Doofus McFancypants
Helper EcoRenovator

Awsome job Daox
Looks really good.
makes me ponder doing same in my house.

steve
Old 01-30-09, 11:36 AM   #40
Daox
Administrator

It really was easy to be honest. Most of the hard work was cleaning up the mess from the roofers and figuring out what to do with the odd angled part from the first post. After that, things went quick and easy. I'd highly recommend cellulose as its a good green option, good price per r-value, and super easy to install yourself.

Still got a few more things to button up with the project though. I gotta seal up the attic access and insulate it yet.

Tags
attic, insulation, seal