EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-18, 02:38 PM   #11
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Just like all the 50 to 60 mpg vehicles that aren't sold here as of now.
The Prius seems to be quite popular in the US.

Old 02-04-18, 04:32 PM   #12
stevehull
Steve Hull

Lots of Prius's here in Edmond, OK -the nearest town to Arcadia, but damn few EVs. When people realize how cheap an EV is to "fuel", then they will get on it. Here, lots of BIG cars and soon all those will become PHEVs.

I am SO excited for this VERY soon to be transition. I am somewhat chagrined for people that either do not believe or are suspicious of the Big 3 (and now Toyota, Nissan, VW, BMW, etc).

The reality is that what happened to ATT and Kodak is about to happen to cars.

Embrace it - don't fight it!

Steve

Last edited by stevehull; 02-04-18 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: typos
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-18, 07:18 PM   #13
oil pan 4
Land owner

I was talking about the non hybrid cars that do 50 to 60mpg.

Electric vehicles are still mostly for rich land owners.
People who own their own homes, therefore have a place to park, charge them and can afford to have an electrician pull a run of 10ga wire for a L2 charger or 6ga pulled to power a CHAdeMO and fork out $350 to $600 for the stand alone CHAdeMO charger it's self.
That's why I'm getting one.
Sure you can use the level one charger but who only ever wants to drive to and from work and that's it.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 04:29 AM   #14
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Hmm

As Stevehull has pointed out ATT and Kodak were unable to make the technical advances to remain as the corporate giants they once were I believe the big three are about to enter the same death spiral

This is going to be interesting

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 05:18 AM   #15
oil pan 4
Land owner

Big 3 contains GM. GM makes the volt, which has turned out to be the best selling and will possibly end up being one of the longest lasting plug in hybrids.
Old 02-16-18, 01:19 PM   #16
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Just sat through a 24 min video of fully charged rambling on about VW ID Buzz an electric re-incarnation to the cult followed VW Bus (van). Oh yes they are going to produce these expected to be available in 2022. I’m sorry I’m so sceptical on these predictions. VWs been promising EVs for years why would this change now. You say dieselgate- this is just a diversion to make you feel good about their company

For your viewing pleasure from 3-4 years ago

Randen

Last edited by randen; 02-16-18 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: Videos
Old 02-16-18, 09:44 PM   #17
oil pan 4
Land owner

With the autobahn and it's normal speed limit of 83 mph and the fact that going too slow is a ticking offense, why would VW build electric vehicles?
Electric vehicles and 80mph speed limits don't really go together unless it's a tesla.
Old 02-17-18, 11:11 AM   #18
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

To further support my argument I called the EGolf authorized dealer. And the conversation went like this:

We are very interested in an e golf. Can we come and test drive one??

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news but our allotment this year is sold out and there is a waiting list that is quite lengthy.

Question. What was your allotment this year.

Ok now I was completely stunned with the answer

7 e golfs

Do you really think the manufactures are interested in satisfying the demand for EVs???

Randen
Old 02-17-18, 12:21 PM   #19
stevehull
Steve Hull

Randen,

Yes, I believe that the auto manufacturers are all 100% on board with PHEV and EV cars/trucks.

There are those that are late to the party - VW/Audi being just one. But the Big 3 in Detroit knows well that standing still is falling behind - just look at the number of Nissan Leafs sold.

My further point is the total electric Chevy Bolt is outselling the PHEV Volt. Soon you will have 350+ mile range with EV cars. I look forward to replacement of Li-ion with quadra valent cobalt batteries (double energy density, much lower production costs, cheaper raw materials, etc) in the next 5-10 years.

I can understand some of your skepticism and frustration with the silliness and antics that the big auto manufacturers have pulled off in the past, but frankly, your statements remind me of people talking of solar PV panels some 5 years ago (too expensive, don't last, just a flash in the pan like the solar water heaters in the 1980's, etc).

China is the BIG issue. The big 3 would like a foothold in that developing country before they develop their own EV industry - and start exporting to the USA.

These USA manufacturers almost went under some 10 years ago - GM being the prominent one. In order to survive, they knew that massive change was absolutely necessary. And they have - yes, some mistakes, but the momentum under Mary Barra (GM) is unmistakable.

Sorry to be blunt - but that is how I (and many others) see it.

Respectfully,

Steve
Old 02-18-18, 08:49 AM   #20
stevehull
Steve Hull

Tesla delays, tax credit concerns spur sales of Chevy Bolts

Reuters Reuters•February 17, 2018

Show attendees look over a Chevrolet Bolt EV electric vehicle at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Some potential buyers of Tesla's long-delayed Model 3 sedan are concerned that they will miss out on big federal tax breaks and are looking for alternatives, including General Motors Co's (GM.N) Chevrolet Bolt, according to postings by would-be Tesla buyers on websites and interviews with GM dealers.

Last week Tesla told some holders of Model 3 reservations that they would not get their cars until 2019, eliciting howls of complaint on Tesla online fan forums. Tesla declined to comment.

GM dealers in California, the top U.S. market for electric vehicles, say brisk demand for Bolts is driven in part by frustrated Tesla buyers who are afraid they will lose a $7,500 electric vehicle tax credit if they wait. The tax credit drops in value and eventually disappears once Tesla sells 200,000 electric vehicles in the United States, which Edmunds analyst Jeremy Acevedo expects Tesla to hit by the fall.

Tesla's Model 3 production troubles give rival auto makers a chance to snatch customers. Tesla has said that the net number of refundable $1,000 reservations for Model 3s was stable late last year and grew in recent weeks, with hundreds of thousands in line. But some buyers are running out of time or patience.

Chevrolet dealer Yev Kaplinskiy said his dealership located between San Francisco and Silicon Valley sold 15 Bolts last weekend, after Tesla's latest delay.

"We're getting the Tesla people who wanted their Model 3," Kaplinskiy said. "We ask them, 'What other cars are you interested in?' They're mostly Tesla. But they want the car now. They don't want to wait." Some of the weekend buyers had turned to Chevy because of the most recent Tesla delay, he said.

Chevrolet sent an email to some prospective buyers this week, announcing in bold case, "Bolt EV: Now available."

The Bolt and Model 3 both start at about $35,000 and can travel more than 200 miles (322 km) on an electric charge, although the Tesla and its Chief Executive Elon Musk have received much more media attention.

While Tesla is struggling with production of the Model 3, GM sold 23,297 Bolts in 2017, with monthly sales mostly rising. Kelley Blue Book reported that Bolts are in relatively short supply as measured by days in inventory, which fell to 42 in January from a high of 65 in August. By comparison, the Nissan Motor Co Ltd <7201.T> Leaf, an electric car with shorter range, was in inventory for 202 days.

For a graphic on 2017 Bolt sales, click here: http://reut.rs/2sxeVt9

Last Wednesday, some of those who made early reservations for the base version Model 3 received emails from Tesla saying their vehicles would not be delivered until early 2019, delayed from 2018.

"My objective...was always a $35,000 Tesla for the price of a decently optioned Civic (with full federal tax credit)," 206er added.

Tesla is closing in on 200,000 U.S. electric vehicle sales thanks to the popularity of its luxury Model S sedan and Model X SUV. If it hits 200,000 U.S. electric vehicle sales in the third quarter, then the $7,500 tax credit would phase out in stages over 2019.

GM also is getting close to the limit, having sold nearly 170,000 plug-in cars, including Bolts, Volts and others, through the end of last year, Green Car Reports estimated.

Sonoma Chevrolet General Manager Ken Scholl, said the subsidy had been a key draw for Bolts and a concern for those who had given up on a Tesla. "If I had 50 (Bolts) in December, we would have sold every one," he said.

(Additional reporting by Joe White; Editing by Peter Henderson and Lisa Shumaker)