EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-17, 08:43 PM   #21
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

The grid is much

nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-17, 11:27 PM   #22
oil pan 4
Land owner

The water hearing heat pumps cost over $1,100 a water heating hvac system typically starts around $3,000.
You don't have to have a dryer but if you do an electric isn't going to be practical, both standard electrical and condensing.
You would be surprised a lot of people want to go off grid and still want air conditioning and a dryer.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-17, 06:47 AM   #23
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

What PV panels are you looking to purchase? Brand and capacity or model number would be great to know. If maximum return on money spent is your main goal, matching the panels to a conversion system is Paramount.

Planning and comparison of key components is very important. Your time and effort up front, ironing out details, making sure what you plan is approved by your local authorities, and verifying everything will do what you want it to, is cheap and/or free. Once you submit plans and start buying materials,try to stick with the original plan. If you change your mind, it's usually not cheap.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-17, 05:24 PM   #24
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

The guy said there canadian solar 240 watt. Yeah i always seem to find something a little more efficient . My original plan was 5 kw of pannels . Now that i have found these . I am going to do 10-15kw the extra will be for future plans i hope .
Old 08-30-17, 12:47 PM   #25
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Okay so you have decided to go with a grid-tie system and 240 watt panels. Most likely you will be going with Enphase micro inverters or Solar Edge power optimizers and string inverter. The only practical difference between the two technologies is whether you plan on running some sort of backup battery bank in the future. If you do, the solar edge system has support built into it to expand later at minimal cost. The two technologies are very close to each other as to performance and price. Both brands have very high ratings as to quality and reliability.

The next step in your plan is to figure out what kind of net metering contract your power utility is willing to negotiate and for how long. Most of the utilities offer single meter connection 4 home users. The main factor to consider is how they count your usage. Many power utilities average your usage out over a long period of time (days or weeks) rather than calculating it real time. This works in your favor because you can generate power and feed it to the grid during the day and draw that power back out at night for free. A few power utilities have employed time-of-use billing which pays you less during the day and charges you more at night so it doesn't pay back as quick. Once you figure out the billing schedule and structure it is easy to calculate the perfect size of array to maximize your investment.
Old 08-30-17, 04:09 PM   #26
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Okay so you have decided to go with a grid-tie system and 240 watt panels. Most likely you will be going with Enphase micro inverters or Solar Edge power optimizers and string inverter. The only practical difference between the two technologies is whether you plan on running some sort of backup battery bank in the future. If you do, the solar edge system has support built into it to expand later at minimal cost. The two technologies are very close to each other as to performance and price. Both brands have very high ratings as to quality and reliability.

The next step in your plan is to figure out what kind of net metering contract your power utility is willing to negotiate and for how long. Most of the utilities offer single meter connection 4 home users. The main factor to consider is how they count your usage. Many power utilities average your usage out over a long period of time (days or weeks) rather than calculating it real time. This works in your favor because you can generate power and feed it to the grid during the day and draw that power back out at night for free. A few power utilities have employed time-of-use billing which pays you less during the day and charges you more at night so it doesn't pay back as quick. Once you figure out the billing schedule and structure it is easy to calculate the perfect size of array to maximize your investment.
Grid tie for sure . Until they start shafting then hopefully battery tech will be cheaper and better so that wouldnt be a problem . I have been looking at all 3 trying to decide . Seen one last night . The sunnyboy . It has a dedicated circuit that lets you pull juice from your pannels ,thats in event of a power outtage during the day time . This would come in handy. The original plan was microinverters . Havent really done a ton of researching on those yet . At the moment mine dont have the time of use . As of now . Im sure they have thought about it . But for now they dont have that system in place . The battery bank . I have thought about for my major appliances like the fridge and a few small things like computer and tv and for here fans would be a must because the heat makes bad situations worse . During winter our winter dont get cold enough to matter i have a wood burning insert (if need be used .) But for now im all the way doing grid tie . Financially for me it wouldnt make sense not too do grid tie because of reliability.
What is your thoughts on the sunny boy .
Old 08-30-17, 05:33 PM   #27
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

https://enphase.com/en-us/products-and-services/storage

With this setup, the battery modules are used to level your usage/generation profile. If grid power goes out, the battery modules will NOT power your home. The battery modules can also not be charged if the grid is down. The system is very robust, so you can install as much or as little capacity as you see fit.

https://www.solaredge.com/us/solutions/grid-backup#/

With this setup, the battery bank CAN power your home AND/OR be charged by the panels if grid power goes down. However, the inverter module is limited to 7.5 KW max power, 5KW on backup power, and 3KW battery charging rate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backup NAM 19-03-17.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	7885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Enphase-AC-Battery-3.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	7886  

Last edited by jeff5may; 09-01-17 at 08:45 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
nokiasixteth (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 05:41 PM   #28
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I really like micro inverters one reason is one thing cannot take the whole array off line. Sure you have a inverter warranty but it does not cover lost power being made we make from $200-$100 a month if you are down for a few month that adds up fast. (just under $2,000 a year)
If a microinverter fails I have a spare on hand I replace it send bad one off for warranty no big deal. (I have had not failures yet knock on wood)

Another reason it you can check each panel/microinverter at a glance and if one is having issue it is very simple to see. It is very easy for a home owner trouble shoot the issue. You don’t have to wonder if it is working or call someone in to look at in for $100 and hour plus travel.

This view is priceless for trouble shooting.

You can also graph a single Microinverter.
Power produced
DC voltage
Dc current
AC voltage
AC frequency
Temperature
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Array.JPG
Views:	539
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	7878  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-17, 06:16 PM   #29
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
I really like micro inverters one reason is one thing cannot take the whole array off line. Sure you have a inverter warranty but it does not cover lost power being made we make from $200-$100 a month if you are down for a few month that adds up fast. (just under $2,000 a year)
If a microinverter fails I have a spare on hand I replace it send bad one off for warranty no big deal. (I have had not failures yet knock on wood)

Another reason it you can check each panel/microinverter at a glance and if one is having issue it is very simple to see. It is very easy for a home owner trouble shoot the issue. You don’t have to wonder if it is working or call someone in to look at in for $100 and hour plus travel.

This view is priceless for trouble shooting.

You can also graph a single Microinverter.
Power produced
DC voltage
Dc current
AC voltage
AC frequency
Temperature
That is somethin else to think about. Replacement cost of inverter. Seen in another post you really don't get much clipping with your inverters though
Old 08-30-17, 07:05 PM   #30
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I have 230 watt and 240 watt panels. The Enphase M215 can handle 225 watts. 225 watts output almost never happens. You need bigger panels to see clipping.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote