EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you get your electricity from renewable sources?
Yes - All 2 15.38%
Yes - Some 5 38.46%
No 4 30.77%
I don't know 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-08, 01:09 AM   #11
knowbodies
Home Improvement Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Bullfrog power (Ontario & Alberta) guarantees that all money goes to renewable power producers (annual audit by a well known accounting firm).

As their customer base has increased, the result has been more renewables coming online.
I don't get. If I've already decided to invest my money in green power sources (by paying extra on my electricity bill), why wouldn't I invest directly in the power producer instead? Why should I pay a middleman like Bullfrog power to do it for me? They are just adding costs to the entire venture and potentially reducing the amount green power that can come online.

knowbodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 07:27 PM   #12
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

It's a good question. One reason I can think of: when you say "invest", how can you be sure your money is going to go to expanded renewable capacity? That's one thing Bullfrog promises: the money buys generation directly.

Your question is similar to carbon offsets: why buy those when you could just spend your "offset/guilt" money on, say, home efficiency improvements.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 12:17 AM   #13
knowbodies
Home Improvement Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
It's a good question. One reason I can think of: when you say "invest", how can you be sure your money is going to go to expanded renewable capacity? That's one thing Bullfrog promises: the money buys generation directly.

Your question is similar to carbon offsets: why buy those when you could just spend your "offset/guilt" money on, say, home efficiency improvements.
I was thinking about it and that's actually what I've already done. Every time I go to my mother's place, she's got a short list of maintenance items she needs done. This past summer, one of the things I did was replace a lightbulb in in her kitchen. I actually replaced all three 60W incandescents with 3 * 13W CFLs. The bulbs should last about 10000h so I've prevented about 1400KWh of electricity from being generated - for a 5 dollar investment.

If the average household uses 800 - 1000 KWh per month, subscribing to Bullfrog would cost $18 - $20 per month. I think it's safe to say I would have a larger positive impact on the environment if I took that same amount of money and purchased three 4-packs of CFLs each month. I wouldn't use them, I would just drop them in my neighbour's mailboxes. They'll be used eventually, nobody throws out free lightbulbs.

knowbodies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, renewable