EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 07-01-14, 12:36 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Had to hook up the mobile generator (Prius) this morning

We lost power yesterday at about 6:00 pm. No biggie, right? Well, it happened during a pretty huge rain storm. That means that there was no power for the sump pump. This didn't occur to me until this morning unfortunately. I woke up, heard the continued rain, and went downstairs to find 1.5-2" of water down there. I thought up what I could use to power the sump pump. I have a few power inverters, but I really didn't feel like lugging batteries downstairs. So, I pulled up the portable generator... my 2004 Prius. Apparently the DC-DC converter is capable of pumping out roughly 1000W. I've read about others doing it, but I've never had to do it myself.

It was a quick and dirty setup, but it worked well. I got some big cables I had left over from my electric mower build, and hooked it up to the car's 12V jumper poles (the 12V battery is actually in the back). I then hooked up my cheapo harbor freight 400/800 power inverter. The sump pump motor didn't really like the inverter that much. I know it doesn't put out a nice clean sine wave. But, it was enough to get the 2" of water out of the basement. After the water was pumped out, I tried it on the fridge, but the fridge did not like the inverter at all and wouldn't fire up the compressor.

Here is the setup a little closer. I just ran the extension cord inside the house to the sump pump and to the fridge.

Anyway, it worked out very nicely, and I'll probably save the wires so they're ready to go if this ever happens again.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140701_062002.jpg
Views:	3425
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	4446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140701_062011.jpg
Views:	1920
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	4447  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 03:38 PM   #2
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Nice idea. If you don’t mind waiting you can pick up a pure sine wave inverter off ebay for an OK price.
I got one for my Tankless gas hot water heater.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 03:46 PM   #3
Daox
Administrator

I have a couple nice computer backup power supplies (1500W+), but they run on 48V. My mower happens to be 48V, and I could use it as a good backup. But, that would have required more time and I really only needed to get the pump running.

The irony is the power came on about a minute before I left for work... haha figures eh?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 03:52 PM   #4
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
The irony is the power came on about a minute before I left for work... haha figures eh?
That’s is how it always seems to work.
The last time we have power out we had new chicks that needed to be 96 deg. We used a couple Computer UPS to run the incubator heater for them. The three UPS held out until the power came back on.

pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote