EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 09-02-12, 07:30 PM   #1
csteel
Lurking Renovator

Default H i from West Texas

New to group, I am in Terlingua Texas AKA be-ond the middle of now where. We are very remote, we make our own electric, use rain water 20,000 gals of storage, solar hot water and heat. I am in the high desert so we have lots of sun. Our PV is 18 shott 235 watt pv, 24 T105 Trojan batteries, Outback Flex Power one 48 volt system. Joined to share and learn. Chuck

csteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-12, 08:24 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site Chuck. What project(s) do you have going on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-12, 12:36 PM   #3
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Welcome Chuck! I'll bet it's hot up there today!
I once had a job offer up there in Big Bend country, (We lived in Del Rio then) but, it didn't pan out.

I'm using a small 48v off-grid backup system, for those times when the grid fails.
Today I was loading up that system a little with my new A7 AirTap hotwater heater.
Seems like it works okay on my cheapo MSW inverter.

I Googled Terlingua Texas and saw they have 20.0 acre lots selling for peanuts.. Amazing!!

The google satellite map is low res, so I could hardly make out car-sized objects, much less roof top PV..

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your setup..
The Following User Says Thank You to Xringer For This Useful Post:
csteel (09-03-12)
Old 09-03-12, 12:40 PM   #4
csteel
Lurking Renovator

Currently we are adding 6 more panels to the PV system and that will max out our FX 80 then a new solar air heater before winter gets here ( most likely a downspout collector) then a movable PV rack or a earth tube air system. I just replaced our solar hot water system and all our plumbing with a new home built collector all PEX. Old system froze and self destructed last winter when it got unusually cold. I have been building out here in the desert since 2006 and have no shortage of projects just a shortage of cash. Being very remote makes getting materials difficult and costly, nearest real city with big box stores is 250 miles away. Chuck
Old 09-03-12, 01:03 PM   #5
csteel
Lurking Renovator

Hi Xringer yes it seems like it has been in the 100s forever, we have had some rain lately and that was good as my tanks were getting low. Now they are full due to having plenty of roof area. We have 60 acres, that is not large at all in this area. Land for sale is plentiful but local knowledge is needed for a wise purchase. County tax sales is the best way there is usually many tracts available. We have no one living near us for miles in any direction, Goggle Earth coverage of this area was last done in 2008 my building was not even complete then. My location is one of the few that has grid power, due to quality and outages I am working to pull the plug. Unless the lines cross your land (Rare) it is almost imposable to get power, other than phone service there are no other utilities. Only a few paved roads. No building restrictions, people live in all sorts of ways that would not work anywhere else. Let me know if you are interested I will send you the next tax sale. Chuck
Old 09-03-12, 03:13 PM   #6
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Yeah, that's out in the sticks fer sure. About 5 hours from my Mom's house in Junction.
I WAS thinking of dropping by to see your setup.. Nope, that's a tad too far.
I've been thinking of heading down to Texas when it cools off a bit.
I'm too old for the heat now. Have not been to the family reunion for years. (August)!

If my wife ever kicks me out, I might return to Texas, but I want to live where
there's a good creek nearby. I like catfish.

The grid here is very reliable lately. But, that's mostly luck.
Just 30 miles away, some folks lost power for a full month after an ice storm.
December 2008 New England and Upstate New York ice storm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That could have been us!
Old 10-25-12, 01:59 PM   #7
theworldtrekker
Lurking Renovator

Small world or a popular site... Grew up in the area and now look back fondly on the heat and sun you get there. I've found that UV damage is not a common issue in the PNW.

theworldtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote