EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 05-21-14, 07:25 PM   #91
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Two adults and two dogs, laptops only, 40" LCD TV, gas boiler and stove, all lights are CFL/LED which i try to have turned off most of the time. Daily KWH is about 7.5

Guess we are well below average but not low enough for my liking.

I'll have to figure out the gas.

Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 02:32 PM   #92
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
My daily electric usage per day for September is 12 kWh/day.

I have gas water heat (demand water heater), gas stove, gas dryer.

I have no incandescent lighting anymore, and I am in the process of replacing the CF lights with LED lights.

I'm still using my 3/4 Ton Sanyo heat pump for heat, and I used it for AC about seven days this summer. This time of year, my house is very close to being in comfortable equilibrium (70F) with the outside temperature.

I also drive a car that has a lifetime average of 54 mpg.

It might be interesting to convert all energy use to the same units, say kWh and make that comparison.

BTW, I heard a very interesting talk last night where I learned that the poverty level in India is defined as less than 75 cents per day. I also learned that less than half of India has access to electricity.

-AC_Hacker
Interesting you bring this up:

Modi to Use Solar to Bring Power to Every Home by 2019 - Bloomberg

I use ~200KWH a month, a little more in the winter. We don't need AC up here.
Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 03:54 PM   #93
David_L_G
Lurking Renovator

Hi all,

Interesting thread!

I read power consumption (and generation) at the meter on the first day of each month (see attachment) and record that in a spread sheet. Household is older 2 adults, and 2 young adults.

Power generation peaks in summer at about 10kWh per day, whereas our power consumption peaks in winter at around 20 kwh per day. During winter our solar power generation drops as low as 2-3 kWh per month. The offset is a problem for solar generation!

That winter peak has increased due to our shifting to a reverse cycle A/C for heating (we still use evaporative A/C for most summer cooling). Because we purchase 100% green power (from wind generation), the electric A/C heating is more sustainable than the natural gas heating (which has high CO2 emissions).

The priority I have is to reduce that winter demand - heating & lighting are the main culprits. Switching to more LEDs planned. We've renovated some rooms, boosting ceiling insulation and improving window coverings (air cell blinds)... but with an older house there are challenges, suspended wooden floors, gaps around doors etc.

DG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adelaide_SA_Consumption.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	4393  
David_L_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 08:06 PM   #94
Quest
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
Two adults and two dogs, laptops only, 40" LCD TV, gas boiler and stove, all lights are CFL/LED which i try to have turned off most of the time. Daily KWH is about 7.5

Guess we are well below average but not low enough for my liking.

I'll have to figure out the gas.

Wow! 7.5kW per day? That's good!

I'll have to set my goal to further reduce my overall daily electricity consumption further (at this time of the year, 13kW/h per day typical is my family's consumption).

Also: on an irrelevant note: I shall pursue the installation of a ERV in my house to further cut down winter heating gas bill (natural gas - radiant in-floor hydronic heating)... wish me luck.

Q.
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 09:19 PM   #95
mikek
Lurking Renovator

Interesting thread!

My family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids, ages 10, 7, and 4) appear to be averaging about 22KWh/day for the last year. Not the greatest, but I use propane (and a corn stove, but that also draws 200W 24/7 for at least 4-5 months of the year) for heat, and everything else is electric.

I'm most proud to report that we are back down to where we were ~10 years ago before we had kids! Replaced electric water heater with a heat pump water heater, upgraded the furnace to one with a variable speed blower (I run that all winter to spread the corn stove heat around the house) and also line dry all the clothes when we can.

Future plans are to supplement heat and hot water with some solar panels, though that probably won't do too much to the electric usage.

mike

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	electric_usage.jpg
Views:	1005
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	4394  

Last edited by Daox; 05-23-14 at 07:40 AM..
mikek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-14, 08:01 AM   #96
stevehull
Steve Hull

Mike,

What are the units on the graph? Is this kWhrs per week? The average line appears to be at a level of "900" (~880 if I squint carefully).

How do you get 22 kWhrs per day from this? No doubting you, but wondering.

22 kWHrs per day = 154/week, 660/month, 8030/year so I am having troubles understanding the graph units.

Regardless, great job reducing your electric consumption!

Steve
Old 05-23-14, 10:16 AM   #97
mikek
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
What are the units on the graph? Is this kWhrs per week? The average line appears to be at a level of "900" (~880 if I squint carefully).

How do you get 22 kWhrs per day from this? No doubting you, but wondering.
Sorry, didn't realize the graph was resized during the upload!

The units are kWh/month (graph goes back to 2000). I divided these numbers by 30 to get my 22 kWhs/day figure.

mike
mikek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-14, 10:50 AM   #98
stevehull
Steve Hull

Got it! The recent decrease in electric consumption is now especially evident.

Steve
Old 05-23-14, 03:34 PM   #99
Fornax
Helper EcoRenovator

Hi All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Total Annual Household Energy use (2011-ish)

Average American household energy use 40300 kwh
Electricity
Average American household electrical use 11,000 kwh
Water
Average American household use 127,400 gallons

-AC_Hacker
For my household in 2013:
Total energy use: 15000kwh
Our electrical use: 4044kwh
Our natural gas use: 1186m^3 ( ~11000kwh)
Water: ~26m^3 (~10,000 gallons)

That is for a family of 4 in a 50m^2 (550sqf) house with 2 stories plus attic (That makes it some 1400sqf in total).
NG use is for heating, cooking and tankless hot water.

Over the past years our NG usage for heating has gone down due to better insulation. Last winter is not included in the above numbers but NG usage has dropped further due to the installation of the HRV plus the extremely warm winter we had over here.

Our electricity usage is higher than average for our area but lower than average in the USA. But then again we don't consider AC as 'baseline usage' over here, only few houses even have one : )

Energy is a bit expensive over here, the energy bill for electricity + NG was €1806.19 (~$2.3k) (over the entire year, payed in equal monthly terms.)
Electricity is 3 times the cost of NG per kwh.

Last edited by Fornax; 05-23-14 at 03:47 PM..
Fornax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-14, 11:59 AM   #100
Quest
Apprentice EcoRenovator

in my area: electricity is currently @ 0.075CAD per kW/hr, up from the original 0.067CAD per kW/hr.

Due to some hydrodam new projects, the price for electricity will be up by 30% over the next 4 years...(already approved). While it may, by no means, expensive in NA standards, it is something that I want to make it more "manageable" in the long run.

Natural Gas is market rate (currently @ 4.64CAD per GigaJoule, + delivery charge, midstream charge, etc.)...not bad given this rather harsh past winter (most parts of NA used up their NG reserves, drove the market pricing for NG up...) I recalled the lowest for NG pricing was 2 yrs ago where market value was @ 2.67CAD per GigaJoule.

anyways, as I'm planing on the implementation of my HRV this summer, I'm looking forward to some more savings this coming winter, and many more to come.

Q.

Quest is offline   Reply With Quote