EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-08, 01:34 PM   #1
SVOboy
Administrator

Default How do you use your kill-a-watt?

I use mine to:

measure how much things like my computer or tv might use in a week of average use

check phantom loads

and test appliances against each other at the store

What about you?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 02:46 PM   #2
groar
X-Frenchy: very

The most often I let it from a few days to one week to measure the consumption of one system, or a set of systems. My kill-a-watt (which is from another brand) has the function to extrapolate for a week, a month and a year. I generally note the year forecast.

This is what I did before buying a new fridge. The old one was a 650kWh/year. When choosing the new one we could choose between 100 and 150kWh/year. If 150 is 50% more than 100, it's always 77% less than 650. We chose a 140kWh/year as it fitted our needs.

Less often I measure the instantaneous consumption. To forecast I use the rules : 1W = 1€/year = 10kWh/year.

Denis.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (2.66 kg/l diesel)
  • kg saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels : 187 kg/yr
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (59.1 g/kWh)
Radioactive wastes saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels :
  • Long life (>100,000 years) : 2.85 g/yr (0.9 mg/kWh)
  • Short life (<300 years) : 31.7 g/yr (10.0 mg/kWh)
Based upon "official" French figures...
groar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 03:58 PM   #3
SVOboy
Administrator

Can you give me a link to what you use? I know there are a bunch of others and I want to collect up a list so I can recommend a bunch of options and not just one thing all the time,

How old was the fridge you replaced?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 03:38 AM   #4
groar
X-Frenchy: very

I'm using an Energy Monitor 3000 by Voltcraft Plus Compteur de consommation électrique digital Monitor 3000, Programmateurs-compteurs conso, Programmateurs Prises Télécom. bought on conrad.fr : Programmateurs-compteurs conso, Programmateurs Prises Télécom., Electricité et Luminaires.

My old fridge was 11 years old, bought before the seller was obliged to show the consumption of the sold appliances.

Denis.
    (2.66 kg/l diesel)
  • kg saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels : 187 kg/yr
    (59.1 g/kWh)
Radioactive wastes saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels :
  • Long life (>100,000 years) : 2.85 g/yr (0.9 mg/kWh)
  • Short life (<300 years) : 31.7 g/yr (10.0 mg/kWh)
Based upon "official" French figures...
groar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 11:15 AM   #5
PaleMelanesian
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I recently upgraded from an 8 cu ft chest freezer to a 12. By testing the old unit first, and then comparing the EPA ratings on the new ones, I got one that uses less power than the old one. Kill-a-watt testing both side-by-side shows the difference to be even greater than the rating suggested.

Saving about 30% electricity with a bigger freezer = Win!
PaleMelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 12:58 PM   #6
Daox
Administrator

In the past I mainly used mine to find phantom loads and see how much juice different electronic devices pulled. However, with the new house, I'll be using it to see how efficient some of the appliances are. More specifically, the chest freezer.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote