EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-17, 06:38 AM   #1
oil pan 4
Land owner

Default Eaton all-pro solar motion detector lights

I bought one of these lights for around $70.
Wanted motion lights that will still work when the power goes out, I could easily run power to regular 120v powered motion lights.
I put one in my back yard intended to use it kind of a lot. With my dogs turning it on the most.
I bought one to test it out and will buy more if I like them and if I can replace the battery when it croaks. Well I do like them and the battery is a very easy to replace, an easy to find common 18650 cell.
Turns out they are easy to install too. But they are for low traffic areas. My dogs and I ran it dead in 2 days. I even installed it, turned it off for the first night, letting it charge for about a day and a half before using it at all.

I hacked it and tied in a wall wart 3.5v 100ma power supply that makes 5.5v OCV to recharge the battery to get it going and I am going to unplug one of the 2 LED lights so when it does come on it only uses half the power, until I modify it.

I am going to modify mine a lot. I am going to go from two 18650 batteries to 4 of them and install 1 or 2 more 6 volt solar panels. I am going to angle the panels so one picks up morning sun and one late afternoon sun if I install one additional panel then if I do 2 additional panels I will angle one for morning light, noon and afternoon. I'm assuming if I have all panels working together at the same time with 2x or 3x the normal panel power feeding amps into the charge controller could fry it so I'm not going to try.

I'm adding the additional battery capacity for times of exceptional heavy use.
And the extra solar panels just to keep it charged up. Hopefully I can leave both lights plugged in.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1117.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	7882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1118.JPG
Views:	748
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	7883   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1119.JPG
Views:	753
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	7884  
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
Daox (08-31-17), Fordguy64 (08-31-17), philb (09-02-17)
Old 08-31-17, 05:49 PM   #2
oil pan 4
Land owner

After about 24 hours on the charger drawing 0.15a the battery voltage has risen to 3.73v. This is the bulk absorption voltage so who knows how long it will stay there.
Old 09-08-17, 08:45 AM   #3
oil pan 4
Land owner

I have returned my solar light to service but I unplugged one light and turn off the whole thing for 2 or 3 days at a time.
I'm still waiting for my batteries and solar panels.

Tags
light, motion dector, solar