EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-12, 03:32 PM   #1
DirtFlinger

Question DIY Earth Tubes?

I'm starting a project that involves digging out a root cellar here:
ecorenovator.org/forum/renovations-new-construction/2278-backyard-earthship-root-cellar-bottle-wall-sunroom-top.html ( sorry this board won't let me post links yet. )

and I had envisioned an "earth tube" system to circulate air to both rooms at least in the summer, preferably all year.

We do have some temperature extremes out here in the desert, so it seems like a no-brainer to try and get some stability from the earth, not to mention passive airflow or even if we have to power and pressurize it, it would be inexpensive.

My questions are:

1. Corrugated pipe is obviously a bad idea, yet all of the contractors are using that stuff and huge rolls of it. This is a small, one room, space that the tubes will underrun. So, can't I just use ABS? It's smooth-er than that corrugated stuff.

2. What size of pipe and how long should it be for a small application like this? Anyone know of an online calculator or something for this?

3. Can anyone please point me in the right direction for finding info on how to build a "drain" for the earth tube project? Contractors seem to talk about a drain like it's something more than a hole in the ground filled with gravel. If not, what exactly is it? If yes, what are the average dimensions of the thing?

Thanks!