EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-13, 11:52 PM   #1
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Default Beer tap beverage chiller.

I have a Co2 tank and more soda kegs then I care to keep track of, so making 5 gallons of fizzy water is easy, carbonating beer, hard cider, or making soda is also easy.
The hard part is keeping it cold.

The easy way of course is a cooler full of ice, that works for about 24 hours, then the ice melts and your beverage is warm again, just fine if you are having a party but if you want 5 gallons of fizzy water on tap, hard cider, beer or anything else on tap at home, then keeping a cooler full of ice is more trouble, that is where people get a spare fridge or chest freezer, drill holes in it and put the kegs inside, trouble is finding a fridge that costs less then $5 per month and is cheap to buy... also then you have a 2nd fridge hanging out in your house!

So here is my latest project, it's not done but I have 95% of the parts sitting on my desk.
Keg of beverage stays warm (70F) and enters a 10' piece of 1/4" copper that is coiled and stuck inside of a vacuum thermos bottle (tested to keeps ice for 2+ days) on top of that thermos is a 30 watt Peltier Junction with a heat sink on the hot side, fan and built in thermocouple along with a thermo safety switch, inside the thermos there will also be a liquid to provide thermo mass, alcohol or food grade antifreeze, if that 30 watt junction runs 24/7 it will cost $2.37 per month to run, the math that I did said that it should take about 20 hours to chill 5 gallons from 72F to 32F, of course my math might not be perfect there, but when I double checked it a few days later I got the same numbers.
20 hours is a while if it's a party, but for a party you get a bag of ice and a cooler, if you want a glass of chilled beer every day then you should be able to drink a 16 ounce glass every half hour, the thermos bottle is 32oz so it has the mass to chill 32oz and that 3rd glass isn't going to be as cold but it will still be cooler.
I'm thinking it might be worth adding a 2nd junction on to chill the outgoing line, but if I do that it will also warm it slightly when it's not turned on, unless it just ran any time it was above say, 45F or whatever the ideal beer temp is for whatever is on tap, still more energy used but still less then a 2nd fridge and a lot less space.
It could also run off of a battery, a 12v 50ah battery could chill 5 gallons, so a large 12v deep cycle battery (120ah) that is smaller then a cooler and about the same weight as the cooler full of ice with less mess.

So that is my current project.

Friends who drink beer want me to build one for each of them to go under the kitchen sink, keg in the basement, beer tap in place of the filtered water tap.

I hope to have something together and working in the next few weeks.

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 09:14 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Sounds like a pretty awesome project Ryland. I'm anxious to see some pictures of this thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-13, 01:54 PM   #3
wuck
Helper EcoRenovator

Yea! Can't wait.

I'm tired of bringing a truckload of beer bottles to recycle -I hang on to them for a while. My wife is tired of tripping over them in the storage shed, but she contributes as much as I do.

I have wanted to switch to mini kegs but don't want another fridge.
--
Pat
wuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-13, 09:44 PM   #4
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuck View Post
Yea! Can't wait.

I'm tired of bringing a truckload of beer bottles to recycle -I hang on to them for a while. My wife is tired of tripping over them in the storage shed, but she contributes as much as I do.

I have wanted to switch to mini kegs but don't want another fridge.
--
Pat
current design is not working as well as hoped, cools beer 10F or so but that is about it.
I have around 8 feet of 1/4 copper coiled up, peltier cooler is a 40 watt cooler but it only gets down to 40F after 4 hours or so from 60F.

Next version will have a stacked cooler so it gets colder to chill faster because this version will stay pretty stable at 40F and I would rather it get down to 32F.
next version will also use all 15 feet of copper, fill the copper with salt to keep it from kinking, high pressure hot water flushes the salt.
brass 90 degree elbows soldered together attached to the peltier end up using the copper tube as the heat sink in the water.
Old 12-28-13, 11:52 PM   #5
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

You might be better off hacking a small window A/C. Add a TXV and it can pull down very quickly indeed.
Old 12-29-13, 01:11 AM   #6
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
You might be better off hacking a small window A/C. Add a TXV and it can pull down very quickly indeed.
Main goal is to have something that can either hang on the side of a keg or fit under the kitchen sink.
Old 12-30-13, 08:42 AM   #7
Daox
Administrator

Do you have any pictures of this thing? I want to see it.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote