EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-18, 04:14 AM   #31
oil pan 4
Land owner

But at the same time I bought some 100w replacement leds from lowes that only do 50 lumens per volt-amps.
That's only marginally better than CFL, which does 30 to 35 lumen volt amp.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 04:06 AM   #32
oil pan 4
Land owner

I put my kill a watt meter on one of my T5 fixtures, it runs about a .99 power factor.
These commercial/industrial power supplies are very efficient.
Commercial/Industrial users demand highest possible power factor and they get it.

In other news I found some very efficient LEDs, some 100w replacement's that are making 800 lumen for a total of 95 lumens per volt•amp.
But they're double the price of the cheaper 50 to 60 lumen per volt•amp bulbs but right about double the efficiency.
The much more efficient dimmable LEDs are about $10 each on clearance at lows, originally they were $13 each. The cheaper ones are 4 to 5 dollars.
From a $/lumen stand point this is pretty horrible.
But for indoors where you have a few fixtures and only need some light they are perfect.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 04-22-18 at 11:55 AM..
Old 04-22-18, 11:43 AM   #33
oil pan 4
Land owner

I installed a T5 high output, high bay fixture in the foyer.
My wife was not too thrilled. It was a single function 4 tube fixture, with 5000k tubes. She said it was way too bright.
Turning that light on gave you an optical assault of 20,000 lumens.

So I took the single function T5 fixture out, installed a dual function with two T8 ballasts, took 14/3 wire hooked up to the fixture and hooked up an unused wire to be hot all the time, installed a pull switch so 2 tubes can come on from the wall switchs and the other 2 from the pull string by the bedroom door hanging from the ceiling box, running about 35w per tube and installed 3500k tubes. She says that's not as bad. It's probably running up to 7,000 to 8,000 lumens with 2 of the 4 tubes on.
Just using 2 or the 4 tubes is much brighter than turning all old the lights on. There 4 fixtures total in that foyer.

Tags
ballast, florescent, led light