EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-16, 11:48 AM   #121
Roostre
EcoLearner

Click image for larger version

Name:	RMP.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	7507

This language seems pretty clear.

Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-16, 12:34 PM   #122
Roostre
EcoLearner

The language in the email makes me think its ok to run it now...

The net metering application has been approved, and we have received the inspection. The next step is to have the net meter scheduled to be set. Once the net meter is set you will receive a closure e-mail and completed application/agreement for your records.
Old 12-30-16, 05:55 PM   #123
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
The language in the email makes me think its ok to run it now...
When the power company guy showed up to swap in my net meter (back in 2013), 10 panels (half my array) were running in "testing" mode. I knew full well that any over-production was NOT spinning my standard smart meter backward or giving me a credit, in fact everything I read about the "standard smart meter" my power company was using indicated it was factory programmed to only roll numbers forward even if you were trying to roll it backwards, to avoid electricity theft. The shedding of my base load, and triggering my electric water heater to run right around solar noon lowered my chance of having my PV array spin the meter too much in the power company's favor while I was "testing" my system, since any excess I was "giving them" was adding to my bill.

If your power company has made any "smart meter" data available to you online, I strongly suggest you mine it for anything you want before they swap your meter. When my smart meter went in, it was months before they got things reconfigured to where I could view my usage data, and all my old data was wiped when they pointed their webpage at the new meter database.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
Roostre (12-30-16)
Old 12-31-16, 08:57 AM   #124
Roostre
EcoLearner

I did some experimenting and where2 you are exactly right! The meter only goes up even when I am clearly making more power than I'm using. You can see the little direction indicator reverse itself, but the meter only tallies up so I am being charged to generate right now!!
Old 12-31-16, 11:53 AM   #125
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
I did some experimenting and where2 you are exactly right! The meter only goes up even when I am clearly making more power than I'm using. You can see the little direction indicator reverse itself, but the meter only tallies up so I am being charged to generate right now!!
Exactly how my original unit behaved. Despite being capable of running two different tallies, my power company installed a completely different brand of smart meter when I received my net meter, and manually stopped by each month to log it for over a year until they installed infrastructure to receive it's data remotely. This unit keeps two tallies: one labeled DEL, one labeled REC. On my monthly bill, the increase in DEL from the previous month less the increase in REC from the previous month determines my use. Nowhere on my bill does it show what my REC accumulation total was the month before. I've had to track that separately in a spreadsheet.

That "only tallies forward" programming is why they recommend you only run your system for testing purposes until they swap your meter. Try not to "pay" to have too many kWh hauled away, while you wait.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
Roostre (12-31-16)
Old 01-01-17, 11:01 AM   #126
oil pan 4
Land owner

Correct, the dumb smart meters are programmed to detect any power flow and count upwards.
Any power you generate that goes onto the power grid is counted as consumption and you pay for it as if you used it to power your house.

Just because something is new doesn't automatically mean it's a better deal for you and me, aka the proletariat. It's more likely a better deal only for the bourgeoisie.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
Roostre (01-01-17)
Old 01-04-17, 05:49 PM   #127
Roostre
EcoLearner

Came home from work today to find a new NET meter installed!!

Looks like it flashes between a "credit" and "debit" kwh displays. One is at 00000 and the other at 00001.

Fired up my panels and with our cloud cover and the sun setting we are only making 34 watts...

System will be left on from now on and it should be interesting to track it's performance.

Old 01-04-17, 05:56 PM   #128
Roostre
EcoLearner

Here is the sum total of my testing so far:

Name:	SE_Layout_NET_Meter Installed_Jan_4_2017.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	7521
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FunctionalTest1 December 6th, 2016.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	7520  

Last edited by Roostre; 01-04-17 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: wrong picture
Old 01-04-17, 07:16 PM   #129
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It is a very exciting day when you get the meter!
It never gets old seeing the credit increase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 01:00 PM   #130
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Managed to get my dashboard up and running today!

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.c...use#/dashboard

Not much action as I'm not allowed to do much more than "testing" until the net meter is set. I need to finish labeling and call for a final inspection. Its hard to get labels to stick in the cold snap we are having. Supposed to be 8F for a low tonight. (-13C)

This project has sure stirred up alot of interest among my friends about solar...
I was trying to see how it was producing but the link does not seem to work anymore.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 01-06-17 at 01:34 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote