EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-11, 11:54 PM   #11
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
, anything else I should try tossing at it?
not really. Hardware has easily exceeded what's needed for normal regular usage by most users. Good to see that even the minimum currently being produced now is enough for most.

strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 02:54 PM   #12
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I've replaced almost all of my home computer usage with a laptop, both of my newer laptops that I use fairly often have 65 watt power supplies which is better than a desktop and even better than some older monitors for desktop computers.

I've thought about getting a netbook and have seen a few that provide very long battery life making them the ultraportable I've been looking for. I've been a little disappointed in the laptop industry building cheaper laptops with 15.4" screens. My current laptop is a 14" and could use less.

This might not use 5 watts but for someone who needs more power than what a netbook can do you could get a 'notbook', which is supposed to mean 'not a netbook'. Its basically an affordable laptop that is like an ultraportable without the expensive price but with performance closer to a laptop than a netbook. The AMD Zacante Fusion is what makes it possible.

Here is a good article with Joanna Stern, the tech writer who coined the term 'notbook'.
Editorial: The rise of the notbook, the fall of the netbook -- Engadget

In my own experience, I can surf web sites with a 9.25wh battery for about 8 hours with a lightweight PDA that fits in my pocket. In an attempt to measure battery life, I turned everything on, bluetooth, wifi, GSM data, maximum screen brightness, and watched Youtube videos for 3.5 hours. Without all the extra stuff on, I've watched Youtube videos on it and gotten better battery life. WiFi is a battery killer on a device with such a small battery. It's not quite a laptop but I don't mind using it while waiting in an airport, waiting in a line, riding in a car with a person who hold conversations well, etc. I can do most things that a laptop can do with it, on vacations I've left my laptop home and still did everything I would normally do on a laptop.

The ARM architecture netbooks and tablets are supposed to use less power than the Intel Atom and apparently Microsoft has announced ARM support for their next version of Windows. I think these could cut the power usage down to 3 watts pretty easily.
CES: Microsoft announces Windows' ARM support at CES (live blog) - CES 2011 CNET Blogs
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 06:16 PM   #13
S-F
You Ain't Me

For About 4 years I used a Dell Axim for taking notes in school, listening to music in the car and other lap top things. I love it but it's now pretty long in the tooth. I got a new lap top in the fall. It's some Asus with an Intel ULV processor. I don't know how much juice it uses but I do know that the battery lasts 10 hours+ with wifi on. Can't beat that with a bat! Now if I only had a 24" screen to plug it into when I got home that used 10 watts.
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 10:22 PM   #14
Daox
Administrator

How about one that uses 14W?

Eizo FlexScan EV2411W Review | EcoRenovator.org

I had to turn down the brightness of course, but it was quite usable at 14W. I'm sure there are other less expensive monitors out there that have similar power usage now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote