EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-17, 02:26 AM   #41
oil pan 4
Land owner

Probably liability.
I wouldn't buy it based on that.
Energy storage that doesn't work when power goes out.
Pointless.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 03:52 PM   #42
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Time of use possibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Probably liability.
I wouldn't buy it based on that.
Energy storage that doesn't work when power goes out.
Pointless.
I think some places are on a (time of use) payrate. Maybe someone who knows for sure can correct me if im wrong. But they have a storage and use what they produced instead of buying at a higher rate from the grid . This sorta makes sense.
But im like you i would rather be able to use mine in a power outtage too . As of now im gonna feed that grid all the juice until i get more money . I have to buy as i get the cash . Having to go cheap.
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 03:55 PM   #43
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
I just realized that I missed a few of the posts about Solaredge because I was off on a vacation at the end of August.

I have had my Solaredge system since my system was installed in November 2014. Nearly 3 years later the whole system(Solaredge inverter, Solaredge optimizers, SolarWorld PV, and an eGauge) have been operating flawlessly.

I have 3.36kw of modules on the roof and a Solaredge 3kw unit. It says on the box that it's 3.3kw maximum but I've seen it push up to a cap of 3,395 and 3,454 watts(separate days) without getting near the published derating temperatures on a few cool clear days with full sun. When it was at 3395 watts, my eGauge confirmed it. This might be higher if the unit current limits because my supply voltage is consistently near 245 volts day and night.

I like the Solaredge system versus using Enphase because I didn't want to put electrolytic capacitors on my roof and heard enough of the Enphase failures and didn't want to pull panels to get to Enphase units when the hot caps fail. I also didn't want to go with only a string inverter because I clean the solar panels in the winter and I get better output when I don't get all the white snow and ice off with the optimizers. I can actually see the output climb during the time I was clearing the panels off. With a string inverter I wouldn't bother because I'd need them to be perfectly clean to get any decent output. The Solaredge system was cheaper than the Enphase system too and if you want the monitoring that's built in, you don't need to pay for it like you do with the Enphase system.

I also like it because unlike other string inverters, this one is compatible with the NEC fast shutdown requirement and works with any of the four shutoff switches in my system(the outdoor electrical disconnect, the breaker, the inverter off switch, or the inverters DC disconnect knob).
Looks like your locked into a contract till 2023 on the current setup . Your plans still to add more ? And do you think your going to add even more optomizers or would you try something different than that. Seems like you like it prety well
Old 10-03-17, 11:39 AM   #44
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
Looks like your locked into a contract till 2023 on the current setup . Your plans still to add more ? And do you think your going to add even more optomizers or would you try something different than that. Seems like you like it prety well
The contract is for 10 years, where I get 8 cents per kwh more than the net metering that I already get for selling them my M-RETS(Midwest Renewable Energy Tracking System) credits. I don't think I'm "locked into" anything but if I were to make a change, they would need to know because the second meter that goes between the SolarEdge system and my service panel monitors everything the solar system produces(whether it actually is released to the grid or used on premises). If I were to add additional modules into the SolarEdge system, then the electric company would be paying me 8 cents for the additional kwh but they wouldn't have M-RETS credits for that.

So what I could do is increase the size of my system but it couldn't be through that second meter, it would just be net metered through the normal one without the extra 8 cents per kwh. I could apply for the solar incentive program again though, and if the new part of the system wins the yearly lottery slot(limited incentive offering), I could get whatever the current incentive scheme is for the system.

I think the reality is that I'd probably wait out 12 years since the system was installed, when the SolarEdge warranty runs out and then add in an additional 3 or 4 modules on a different section of the roof. SolarEdge only wants to have 135% oversizing with the inverter that I have(the new HD wave says 155% is the max they want). ..but this is a warranty thing, I'm willing to oversize beyond this because my house's roof has sections that face southwest and southeast. When I installed my system, there was a giant maple tree in my neighbors yard on the southeast side which would shade a good chunk of the winter as well as morning and evening sun throughout the rest of the year. That maple tree started to threaten the neighbors house foundation so it was removed. Since these are 90 degrees off from eachother based on compass direction and the peak generation will occur at different times, I'm thinking 4 additional modules on that roof face would be safe enough to not damage the inverter by having the output hang out in the clipping range for a long time.

Will I actually do this? I'm not sure. The first year I had my system, I was living alone in the house and every single month I produced enough solar to cover all of my usage, including the winter snow months and the summer AC months. I'm not talking about a yearly average, each individual month. Solar doesn't beat out my stock market investments, in fact, I probably wouldn't have put the solar system up if I did the math on what $10,773 would get me in the stock market versus waiting to get it back and then getting slim margins after the 10 year mark with a payback that is longer than that 10 year period. In the stock market, I expect to see $10k double in 10 years, then 10 years later double again, using conservatively average figures. Solar PV doesn't do this for me. I can consider it to be investment diversity though and some hedging against higher utility costs. I paid cash for the system and if I were to have put this under a loan, the financial prospects regarding the opportunity cost may be different if the loan were to be a lower interest rate than the expected gains but then I'm operating on margin using a solar system and I could get a cheaper interest rate if I did a cash out refinance using the solar system as equity. ..this is something I might do if we head for a US stock market correction soon, which it feels like we're due for because this really looks like a stock market and housing market bubble to me, and then maybe things will turn positive.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MN Renovator For This Useful Post:
nokiasixteth (10-03-17)
Old 10-03-17, 07:04 PM   #45
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Th way I look at it is always can have some juice later on with a battery bank. Most people have generators for hurricanes or tornadoes. Mine just won't require any gas if we have another Katrina. . That is if they don't get blew off. I've wanted to put solar since I was small. Just never have been able to afford it . Still can't just making the money to do it .
I was set with the emphase . But seems the solar edge are possibley going to be a bit more efficient . With a battery bank later on . The only thing I m seein is ungrounded inverter . Is their a reason you can't ground then?
Old 10-04-17, 11:17 AM   #46
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Solar people said the panels would be here in about 2 weeks. And I guess I did good seen them jump up the price to 105 . I have decided on the solar edge I have 22 of the 230 watt panels. Will probably add some more to it so prob will go ahead and spend th extra money and get the one that is 6kw . Now just lookin to see where's the cheapest. So far renvu is cheaper on those.
Old 10-05-17, 09:03 AM   #47
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Solar edge error ?

Spoke to a online company. I am pretty sure that this info is incorrect . They said they think that i would get error codes with a 230 watt panel. According to solar edge the panel as long as its <320 i will be ok. Can anyone confirm this . I am pretty sure this companys info is incorrect but im no expert .

https://www.solaredge.com/us/products/power-optimizer#/

https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...tasheet-na.pdf
Old 10-07-17, 09:25 PM   #48
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

After quite a bit of looking here and there . I am thinking that the error throwing saying . Was just that a sales tactic to get me to use emphase or a brand they could get cheap and sell higher. I had already pretty much made my mind up for the solar edge already . I would probably have saved a little bit if i could have bought from one company. But seems i hopefully have saved a good bit on panels on my first stage it will even out in the long run. Am now deciding on racking .
Old 10-08-17, 07:16 AM   #49
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
I am starting to think off grid in this area may be better than trying to do grid tie.
The best option is an intertie/off grid system. Why run batteries into the ground everyday? My system keeps the batteries topped off and sells excess power back to the grid. This way my batteries last indefinitely and are there when I need them. The energy I sell to the grid is returned at night when I need it. I tell people not to go off grid unless they have no other option.
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robaroni For This Useful Post:
nokiasixteth (10-08-17)
Old 10-08-17, 08:03 AM   #50
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robaroni View Post
The best option is an intertie/off grid system. Why run batteries into the ground everyday? My system keeps the batteries topped off and sells excess power back to the grid. This way my batteries last indefinitely and are there when I need them. The energy I sell to the grid is returned at night when I need it. I tell people not to go off grid unless they have no other option.
Ive since decided to do grid tie with solar edge and power optomizers . P320 and solar edge hd 6000. Had pretty much thought about the microinverters . But after several weeks on youtube and on this site decided the optomizers were going to be what i go with . Will be ordering those on monday from renvu. Unless i find somewhere cheaper to go with.
Had a company try to tell me that the power optomizers may not work and would throw error codes with my ecosolargy 230 watt panels. I couldnt find any where i could 100% confirm this in writing but after looking at the specs i am almost positive that was a sales tactic to make me get emphase from them.

But in the future i may add a small battery bank for backup for small things . The power grid here is very reliable unless you have a bad storm. We didnt even loose power in this little hurricane that just came through last night.