EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-15, 05:55 PM   #1
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Buck Stove Mods

So I have a Buck stove 28000. Last year was my first year to use only the stove and it worked well, just not as I has planned.
The normal problems with a wood fireplace is the crazy amount of air they draw from outside into the house (cooling the house) and then into the fireplace and up the chimney. This not only pulls in cold air from all the cracks and vents in the home it also dries out the air. It got down to 15% humidity last year, and that is dangerous for health.
So my first goal was to make the fireplace draw air straight from the outside, and I wanted it to be under the seat of the fire. So I torched out a hole in all three layers of the stove. And put in a 1" pipe with holes drilled in the top.
Then I put in a ball valve and 90ed it into a 2 inch PVC pipe that goes through the wall.

The other problem was that the seat of the fire was to far back into to fireplace, so the top of the stove that was sticking out didn't get hot enough to boil water in a pot so I could add humidity back into the house. So I pulled the stove out but the hole for the chimney on top of the stove was to far forward and would hit the bricks. So I welded up a piece of 1/4" diamond plate and made it vent into the center of the chimney.

So now most the air will come from outside, and I can keep a hot pot of water constantly adding humidity back into the house.
Only concern is I might not have made my pipe big enough, coming into the house, but it was all I had room for.
Next mod is some homemade peltier fans to move more heat.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0291.jpg
Views:	1178
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	6155   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0292.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	6156   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0289.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	6157   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0290.jpg
Views:	1147
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	6158  
Daox (10-26-15), Piwoslaw (10-22-16)
Old 10-25-15, 09:28 AM   #2
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

i like it so far! i have thought about doing the same thing with my insert but just havent gotten around to it yet
Fordguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 11:09 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Nice ideas. I like it. I also have a wood furnace that I'd like to do some mods to. I'm eager to see what you do next.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote