EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > For Sale / Trade / Wanted / Web Finds
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 05-28-13, 12:13 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default $50 rebate on TED 5000 whole house electric monitor

For those who don't know, the TED (the energy detective) is a whole house electricity monitroing device. They are currently offering a $50 rebate on any new TED 5000 setup.

The rebate still doesn't make it cheap, but IMO its a very handy tool that will pay for itself (eventually). The cheapest TED setup is the TED-5000 G (I have this one). It goes for $200 ($150 after rebate). IMO this is plenty. The TED-5000 C adds a LCD display, but it doesn't seem nearly as useful as the computer interface.

The Energy Detective (TED)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ted5000package.jpg
Views:	1396
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	3210  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 05-28-13 at 01:36 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (05-30-13)
Old 05-30-13, 05:42 PM   #2
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

What is the in-line filter and is it needed? I think the value of the wireless LCD display is that you can carry it with you while you turn things on and off anywhere in the house?
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 07:43 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

If you look at this page: TED 5000-G Home Electricity Monitor

It recommends the filter if...

Quote:
*My house is large or has many fluorescent or LED lights, dimmers, electronic equipment, home office equipment, surge suppressors, etc.

TED uses Power Line Communication (PLC) to transmit data between the electrical panel and Gateway. PLC can be affected by noise on the powerline caused by switching power supplies (electronics, computers, dimmers, fluorescent lights).

An in line filter is installed inside the breaker panel with the MTU and helps to block out noises on other breakers that may affect TED's communication.

A plug in filter is designed to block a nearby appliance (such as a computer or power strip) from TED. The plug in filter is connected directly between the appliance making electrical noise and the wall. The plug in filter does NOT connect directly to the Gateway.

I don't have a filter and really don't have any problems.

You can view your TED info with a laptop, tablet, or smartphone. The software is web based. So there is no need for the display IMO.

&
Old 05-31-13, 10:12 PM   #4
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Thanks, the filter is almost always needed then, I guess?

Right, but if you don't have a laptop or tablet or smartphone, it may be worth the extra $40.

I am tempted to get this system, rather than another Kill-A-Watt; which I have loaned out and lost track of at least two of... I donated two Kill-A-Watt meters to the middle school technology teacher, who is putting them to very good use!
Old 06-01-13, 11:37 AM   #5
jimmerjammer
Lurking Renovator

Daox, where did you get your TED 5000? I just bought mine for $200 (arrived last night)- but I got it from Amazon.com. Hoping to get in on this rebate(not sure if Amazon is an "authorized" dealer though)... I'll try anyway...

-As far as the TED 5000, mines only been running since last night- but i already like it. I should be able to track down/manage plenty of energy-wasters for it to pay for itself.

I also don't know how critical the in-line filter is, but I installed one "just-in-case". My install went smoothly and I was up and running within 1/2 to an hour. Connecting over the internet also was fairly easy- I'm now setting up all of the other configurations...

fyi- I bought the bare bones model without the display. If you have a laptop and wireless internet(I imagine many, many ecorenovators do...)- It would be no problem. Its pretty cool to grab the laptop, chunk down the house thermostat(for example)- and watch your TED 5000 graph spike immediately. Pretty cool.
jimmerjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmerjammer For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (06-01-13)
Old 06-02-13, 11:21 PM   #6
jimmerjammer
Lurking Renovator

Sorry- some clarification to my previous post.

All is well--- however I am NOT linked up nicely through the internet. I am linked nicely through my house wifi though...

I tried to check from work. And I cannot. You need to set up Port Forwarding on your modem(something I may do, but the need isn't high enough yet- I've never done it before).

I did link from my laptop easily- but this was through my wifi- NOT the internet... Just wanted to make sure I don't make it seem easier than it is.

Still like it though- It will definitely be a useful tool...

Jimmy
jimmerjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 08:18 AM   #7
Daox
Administrator

I got mine off amazon too. It was a few years ago though.

&
Old 06-03-13, 03:30 PM   #8
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Thanks, the filter is almost always needed then, I guess?

Right, but if you don't have a laptop or tablet or smartphone, it may be worth the extra $40.

I am tempted to get this system, rather than another Kill-A-Watt; which I have loaned out and lost track of at least two of... I donated two Kill-A-Watt meters to the middle school technology teacher, who is putting them to very good use!
I have the older TED 1001 and the in-line filter didn't really work at all. Waste of money.
Even with all the CFL, LED lighting off, the updating is very slow. But, it still works most of the time.
Not really super accurate with big lapses in the sampling..

It's just a PITB when I'm looking at the display and my wife flips on a light switch in another room..

Edit 12/17/13
Got it working really well now..
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/applia...-can-work.html

Last edited by Xringer; 12-17-13 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Fixed
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-14, 09:43 AM   #9
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Here is a less expensive (?) alternative to the TED:

elite engage hub system - home energy gateway

Looks pretty similar in terms of features. Has anyone got experience with it?
Old 05-31-14, 12:06 PM   #10
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

I like the looks of that Hub, but my Elite's probe and transmitter is a 1.0 version and I don't think it will work.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/5046-post116.html

Something failed and it's worthless now.. I think it's the receiver/display unit.
Since I can still hear the transmitter sending it's data packets on 433 Mhz, using a UHF scanner..

I really liked the Elite display unit. I could take it with me around the house,
and monitor the old Sanyo in real-time.. I miss that function..