Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-14, 03:00 PM   #20
F357
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
But I think that the most true, and most accurate answer to your question is that smaller air conditioner/heat pump development made an evolutionary leap in their configuration, and became mini-split air conditioner/heat pumps.
Oh, I know they make window heat pumps, but they still don't make sense to me. They all cost something like $600-900+. Not going to save any money paying that much! Mini splits are great too, but if you can't DIY or find a deal on ebay, they are several thousand dollars.

It seems to me that the standard $99 commodity 5000BTU window unit is marketed towards people that don't want to spend much money. It's a temporary solution. Lots of people rent and would never want to "install" anything. But why not heat the same way? There are more heating days than cooling days in most places. If you could get the price of a "window heater" down to $99, I bet they would sell. Lots of people are scared to use electric space heaters because they gobble too much power.

Hell, I've even seen window mounted pellet burning stoves. If you're going to go that far, I'd think a compressor based heater would make more sense. People pay $100-300 every year for the newest scam of an electric heater marketed on late night TV - something that looks pretty in your living room but still puts out the same 5000 BTU as everything else. Then they tell you how somehow it will magically lower your heating bill...

Last edited by F357; 10-31-14 at 03:03 PM..
F357 is offline   Reply With Quote