EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-12, 09:23 AM   #21
Daox
Administrator

You could do that. But, it would be more efficient if you could simply use the hot water directly for heat. Running it through a heat pump would just be an unnecessary step. However, the heat pump would be useful to pull heat out of the water after the water tank's temperature has dropped below a usable level, say between 75F and 53F.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (10-10-14)
Old 02-05-12, 08:07 PM   #22
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Spaceheating with solar hot water

The results we have had with the solar hot water heating are nothing short of spectacular. When we had first began to think of the possibility of heating with the solar we had a look around to see if anyone else had some success. My research lead me to Gary Reysa of Build It Solar and his solar garden shed. He had some very good results with his system. The reduction of propane for his space heating had been reduced markedly. Gary was installing tubing on top of the floor and covering, I think with ceramic tiles. The system I'm familiar with is quik trak panels. We were very lucky to already have a heated concrete slab which is one of the key elements of the lower temperature heating and to act as a heat battery. If one was to convert all their living space to the heated floor tiles and circulate the solar heated fluid through it would make the house very comfortable. The addition of a solar insulated tank 500-1000 gals would help to carry the heat through the evening. I had seen a suggestion of 10-30% of the floor area would be the recommended amount of flat plate solar panel area. If the panels are mounted vertically on a south facing wall they collect the most amount of heat from the lower angle of the suns exposure in the winter and don't collect snow as well in the summer they don't over-heat.

Gary and my system both use the suns heat directly for the space heating. The solar heat is a priority. By this I mean if the solar heat is avalible the other method of heating is suspended until there is no longer any solar input. This is quite simple when the circulation pump for the solar is turned on a relay interrups the backup heat source.

My result last year after installing solar hot water for both domestic and space heating reduced my electric bill by $1200.00 During the months from about March to October the electric water heat element was used only about three days. The amount of space heating is hard to quantify as I don't meter the run time but the end result is very good.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (04-25-14)
Old 01-01-18, 06:41 AM   #23
solarpowernation
Lurking Renovator

I definitely agree with you thanks for sharing useful information
solarpowernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 05:35 AM   #24
foulflickering
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I completely agree with what you've said. Since I recently got some free solar hot water panels I've been looking into the same things. I'd love to get a huge tank of water. Can you tell us more about these tanks?
Hi, Better you can have some pool water heaters instead of looking for heaters to tank of water. That will be cool idea to get plenty of hot water. There are many companies who are selling many types of solar panels and equipments. They provide you many solar panels that can be installed on roof of the houses, and also portables that we can carry anywhere, and pool heaters as well. Try them out!

Last edited by foulflickering; 08-23-18 at 01:14 AM..
foulflickering is offline   Reply With Quote