EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-11, 12:30 AM   #1
davranyou
Lurking Renovator

Default Losing Expensive Warmth out my Basement Windows

Hi Everyone,

I discovered a nice draft a while back when I was messing around in the basement and it was coming from the window. I have two windows (about 16-24 inches below grade in window wells) They are small and are aluminum frame style with multiple sliding single panes on each left and right side.

I thought maybe the window was open a little, I went in closer to adjust the window panes and found the entire window unit could move freely within the frame with no effort whatsoever!

Needless to say I am losing lots of heat through these. I am thinking I could just seal them with some type of adhesive style chaulking. However... will the chaulking have trouble curing when the out side temps are hitting lows of -30 celsius right now? Any particular type anyone could recommend?

Once they are sealed up I am thinking of trying the bubble wrap method of insulating these windows. but I think they would benefit from being sealed first. Any thought?

davranyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 06:27 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

I've been using acrylic/silicon blend caulk and like it a lot. Since it is so cold, you might need to hit it with a hair dryer, but it might not be a problem.

Bubble wrap definitely wont hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 10:16 AM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Can you put one of those clear covers over the outside of the window well?
A caulk like Seal-n-Peal should work even with the cold and it would allow you to remove the caulk if you need to open the window at some point, do you see this being th case?
For my basement window I used the same shrink wrap type window insulation kit over the window to seal out drafts and add another layer of trapped air, but you have multiple layers of glass so sealing them each up is going to help alot.
I recommend taking the windows out and cleaning the glass before sealing them up as well, if you have to cover over the outside of the opening with foam or an old blanket or something so you can pull the window appart for an hour I think you will find it well worth it, that way once they are sealed and clean they will stay that way, letting more natural light in to your basement.
If you don't need the light in your basement then cut a tight fitting foam block to just block off the window all together.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 04:40 PM   #4
davranyou
Lurking Renovator

Daox and Ryland. Thank you for your replies. I managed to find a Dap brand Chaulk that is good to -37C. I also decided to skip the Bubble wrap and use Celfort foam instead. This basement is used for storage and laundry, useable windows are not a necessity at this time. See the results below.

I also had to spray foam the wall to the cement window casing as I was able to isolate another major draft once the foam block was in place. And everything is nice and warm to the touch now!

davranyou is offline   Reply With Quote