EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-13, 07:43 PM   #31
Daox
Administrator

Thanks Jeff.

The garage door in general faces east, so the sunroom is on the south side of the house. The only westward facing windows are under the porch roof except two smaller ones upstairs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 12:40 AM   #32
jeff88
Lots of questions

Got it! I bet the Sunroom gets nice and toasty during the Summer!? Have you done anything with that room since you moved in? The original pics only shows a few plants, so I was just wondering if you've done anything there (even if it is non-eco ) I can definitely see some things you could do for passive heating and lighting (although it would include taking out walls ).

Do you have an attic? I can't remember if you mentioned that in another thread or not.

You can certainly tell this is an old house, based on the size of the rooms. You can definitely tell the priorities of older generations. Larger Kitchen, larger Sunroom, decent size Livingroom and smaller Bedrooms and Bathrooms. We always think about older generations being inferior or backwards, but we forget that maybe they had it right (at least in this case).

You should get a vertical turbine and turn it horizontal. That way when it snows, you can take advantage of gravity and offset your heating a little!

BTW, the reason I resurrected this thread is because oddly when I checked the 'Recent Posts' on my phone, the most recent posts were from 3 months ago, including this one. When I switched to my computer to write my reply, it was back to actual recent posts from the last day. This happened before, but I didn't think anything of it. Don't know if it's a glitch in the forum or my phone. Hmmm...

Last edited by jeff88; 09-01-13 at 12:42 AM..
jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 10:35 AM   #33
Daox
Administrator

The only real thing I've done is remove the screens (interior, not exterior) to let more light in. Thankfully, the overhang blocks nearly all the direct sunlight in summer. But, when it gets hot out I also put the blinds halfway up from the bottom to help a little. In winter they go down every night and up every morning to let light in, and also insulate since they're the double honeycomb type and fit the window pretty well.

I do have an attic. One of the first things I did when I moved in was blow in about 13" cellulose up above my existing 8" of fiberglass.

I'm always open to suggestions!

&
Old 10-16-14, 08:28 PM   #34
swamisalami
Lurking Renovator

cool house, man!
swamisalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-14, 11:35 AM   #35
Daox
Administrator

Thanks, I like it quite a bit.

&