EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-19, 06:56 PM   #1
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default The Fairchild_F8 Or How I Learned to Code..

https://wikivisually.com/wiki/Fairchild_F8

Back around 1975, there was an place in Cambridge MA where me and some of my Ham radio buddies would buy power supplies parts. We had a source for old UHF Taxi cab Moto radios that required 22 amps at 12 volts.
One day, I saw they were selling the F8 eval kit. I had been learning about TTL and modems etc, so I wanted to buy the kit. It came as a bare board with all the tiny parts loose in a bag.
Later on I built a terminal (TV Typewriter 2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Typewriter
I expanded the memory buss so I could use S-100 Buss RAM cards. After finding a photo-diode array that could read paper-tape (an early form of computer tape) I learned a lot about machine language programming with that little board.. Later I went on to buy the IMSAI 8080 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMSAI_8080 Learned it's machine code and ran CPM and Basic. I loved Basic, and used it for all sorts of applications during my career at NEC as engineer and then as Tech Nerd at MIT Lincoln Labs.
A few years after I retired, I removed the F8 from it's big aluminum box, tested it, and then mounted it on a wooden board. This rare early microcomputer was going to be handed down (with the IMSAI 8080) to my family.

Yeah, that was the plan. It didn't work out. During the winter I noticed some rust on my large crescent wrench, but since nothing seemed to be wet, I just cleaned up the wrench and tossed into the basket of tools I had been using.
It was a very slow leak.. But, I didn't notice it until today..
I guess procrastinating replacing those defective 1/2" fittings was a bad idea. This summer, I'll be doing a lot of PEX work.. Those fittings were recalled decades ago, I was pushing my luck.. Until I ran out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leak.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	8571   Click image for larger version

Name:	F8.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	8572   Click image for larger version

Name:	sharkbite.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	8573  

Last edited by Daox; 03-29-19 at 09:16 AM..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote