EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-11, 12:40 PM   #11
Daox
Administrator

Here is the spec sheet for the "150" XPS. They also have a 250 XPS which I'm not sure what the difference is (perhaps tongue and groove vs flat sides).

http://insulation.owenscorning.com/a...a29e2fd5bc.pdf

With a 40°F temperature differential this stuff has an r-value of 5.5. At 75F differential it is R5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-11, 02:05 PM   #12
hamsterpower
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The spray foam I used is rated at R-7 per inch x 3 inches = 21, plus 5 more inches of cellulose at R-3 per inch = 15 + 21 = R-36. I added a second offset 2x4 stud wall for the extra thickness, so thermal bridging is minimal.
hamsterpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-11, 02:55 PM   #13
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
The spray foam I used is rated at R-7 per inch x 3 inches = 21, plus 5 more inches of cellulose at R-3 per inch = 15 + 21 = R-36. I added a second offset 2x4 stud wall for the extra thickness, so thermal bridging is minimal.
hamsterpower,

Without a doubt, you are doing this the right way... possibly more right than you realize...

Your 3" of foam on the outside walls not only gives excellent R-value, and a complete seal against infiltration, but it also sets up a thermal gradient, such that moist air will never reach the dew point inside your cellulose fill.

Just couldn't be better.

Had I started with the knowledge I have now, and the technologies that are available now, I would do exactly what you are doing.

As it is I will probably do a variant of your method on the next room I tackle. My little house is only 700 square feet, and I'm trying to minimize intrusion into my living space... so some balance is called for here.

The offset studs idea is great... I think I can do a version of that, next room.

Great advice, great work!

-AC_Hacker
Old 12-15-11, 04:08 PM   #14
S-F
You Ain't Me

EPS has a lower R than XPS which is R 5. 4.something is about right for EPS.
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-11, 07:18 PM   #15
hamsterpower
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Thanks AC, for the kind words.

I think my wife took some pictures along the way. I hope to put up a build thread of the process some time soon.

My house is only 800 sf too. We feel that if just right for the three of us.
hamsterpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-11, 08:02 PM   #16
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
My house is only 800 sf too. We feel that if just right for the three of us.
Well, I don't know if God looks any more kindly on those of us who live in small houses, but I do know that the heating bills are less...

-AC_Hacker

P.S.: [Everybody tells me I should add onto my house, but for 35 years I have successfully resisted!]
Old 12-16-11, 01:02 AM   #17
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Interesting conversation here regarding putting EPS & XPS in wall cavities, etc.

-AC_Hacker
Old 12-16-11, 06:40 AM   #18
Daox
Administrator

Dunno if you posted the right link. That guy is using polyiso in his wall, not EPS or XPS... Only one other guy mentions using XPS. I think polyiso would be the way to go since its indoors and has a significantly higher r-value.

&

Last edited by Daox; 12-16-11 at 06:52 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-11, 10:31 AM   #19
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Dunno if you posted the right link. That guy is using polyiso in his wall, not EPS or XPS... Only one other guy mentions using XPS. I think polyiso would be the way to go since its indoors and has a significantly higher r-value.
I think you're right.

I was mostly focused on the technique.

-AC_Hacker
Old 12-16-11, 11:11 AM   #20
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Daox,

Gotta thank you on this one... Turns out that I can get the XPS at the same price or slightly cheaper locally, because there is a manufacturing plant close to my town.

Quote:
Here is the spec sheet for the "150" XPS. They also have a 250 XPS which I'm not sure what the difference is (perhaps tongue and groove vs flat sides).
The number refers to the ability of the foam to support a compressive load, 150 psi & 250 psi... The 250 is more dense and has better R-value, but I'm not sure what the value is.

Quote:
http://insulation.owenscorning.com/a...a29e2fd5bc.pdf

With a 40°F temperature differential this stuff has an r-value of 5.5. At 75F differential it is R5.
Looks like just about all insulation has some kind of declining curve as the delta T becomes greater.

I went through the literature, and the companies do their best to make it difficult to do an apples-to-apples comparison.

Polyiso is higher R-value, but is subject to "R creep." R-6.5/in. seems to be the spec. There is also a foil face that can be used with a dead air space to increase R-value.

EPS is or should be cheaper, but for me, locally, it is not. They're coating one side with a metalized layer, and if you use it correctly, with the dead air space and all, it has higher R-value than XPS, but the EPS + dead air system takes up more space. No significant R creep. Disregarding the metalized layer and dead air space, R-3.8 to R-4+ per in. seems to be the spec. Otherwise, R-5.5 with the dead air space (3/4" to 3").

XPS has no foil, no R-creep and R-5 value. That's what I'll be using. Most people seem to be using saws with this stuff and the dust & debris from the sawing seems to be a real problem. I'm going to see if I can hack up some kind of a hot wire tool.

Thanks for the XPS tip...

-AC_Hacker