EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-23-11, 06:19 AM   #1
wendortb
Lurking Renovator

Default Indiana homeowner new here

My wife and I own a 1.5 story house in central indiana. Propane prices have jumped again from 2.29 to 2.65 and we are looking at reducing our utility bills.

I have read a lot of info on builditsolar and someone on reddit pointed me to this site.
I have been reading a lot on this site for the past couple days and there is a lot of good info.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi.

wendortb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 07:10 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site wendortb.

I'll give the usual speach we give most people. Seal air leaks, seal air leaks, seal air leaks! Its by far the cheapest and easiest thing to do to get the heating bill down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 08:05 AM   #3
wendortb
Lurking Renovator

I have been working on sealing air leaks after I found out that it is a cheap, easy, and very beneficial way to save money.

I will make another post for my question on my knee walls and the air space under them.

Over the past couple weeks, I have been working on air sealing. I did go around to all the outlets, light switches, and ceiling lights and sealed them with caulk to the drywall. I also sealed the windows around the house to the drywall. I removed the fiberglass from around the front door and used great stuff to seal it. I still have to seal the back door, which I will do next weekend.

A couple months ago I sealed the duct work using mastic and metal duct tape.

I am slowly learning and I am already noticing differences on my electric bill. My electric bill is $50 less this year than last year for July after putting on a metal roof and adding a little insulation.
Old 08-23-11, 08:51 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Sounds like you're off to a good start! To help you detect more leaks I suggest the DIY home pressure test:

http://ecorenovator.org/diy-home-air-pressure-test/

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 09:16 AM   #5
wendortb
Lurking Renovator

I actually have went around and done that a couple times. I used the incense stick and was able to find a couple spots where air is coming in. I then read your site and started just using my hand to feel the leaks.

I like using my wet hand better. Less chance I am going to burn something.