EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-20-17, 12:52 PM   #211
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Thanks. We really like the new look. It was cold this morning and my wife used the heated steering wheel and heated seats. She liked them both. (only the steering wheel is new)

When she got home she said I love the new car!

This is great news because I was the only one that drove the new Volt our son was sick so I took care of the deal.

I really like it a lot better but I was a little nervous because she drives it way more than I do.

We have 310 miles with 213 EV miles all ready. We will be adding EV miles quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 11-20-17 at 04:13 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 09:34 PM   #212
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The new Volt has a better ride and bumps are more forgiving.

We both think the seats are more comfortable.

This new 53 EV range is going to be so much better for us.

We are using the regen paddle for most stops.
My 2013 volt had 102K miles and the brakes looked great. This could go even
more miles before needing brakes.

My all weather mats are on their way. I don’t know why they put carpet mats in any cars.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 11-21-17 at 10:15 PM..
Old 11-22-17, 09:04 AM   #213
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

The Leaf we had was somewhere in the mid 30,000 something mile range .

I watched when I had new tires installed . None of the 4 rotors had any ridge , at the outer edge . I was really impressed . I also credited it to regenerative braking .

The Leaf had 60 - 70 mile range & my Wife was very good atm keeping it charged . But it did not also have the range extender engine .

When she went to visit her brother & sister in law ( about 45 miles away , one way ) , she took the little red Chevy Sonic .

I seem to remember hearing there was such a thing as a plug in Prius ?

Glad to hear you are liking the new Volt better than the first one . :-)

Happy Thanksgiving to you all , :-)
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 09:26 AM   #214
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, there is a plug in Prius. In 2013 they released the first version. It has 11 miles of range. The 2017 Prius Prime has 25 miles of range.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 09:32 AM   #215
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The plug in Prius does not qualify for the full 7500 tax credit.

I would bet I put on more EV miles than most leaf owners. I don’t have to worry about running out of EV miles.

Yesterday we put on 80 EV miles. That was one charge then a partial charge. Normally we would have time for two charges but my son got sick a school and we had to pick him up early.

Then I had to go back and drive another 40 miles to pick my other son up. That was all gas miles yesterday we got 43.5 MPG on gas. We had 80 EV miles and just under 100 gas miles used 2 gallons of gas.

A leaf would not work for us but the BOLT would I really like driving the Bolt but my family did not like how it looks and it was a far amount more expensive. My 2013 Volt we were at 75% EV so I could not justify the additional cost.

I have drove to FL in my old Volt so that is a great option to preserve.

When you buy an EV you just have to analyze how you use your car and pick one that fits your needs.

There are more good choices all the time.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 11-22-17, 09:58 AM   #216
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Yeah, there is a plug in Prius. In 2013 they released the first version. It has 11 miles of range. The 2017 Prius Prime has 25 miles of range.
So , not in the ball park of the EV range of the Volt .

Thanks , :-)

Happy Thanksgiving
Wyr
God bless
Old 11-22-17, 10:09 AM   #217
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I am surprised the Bolt costs more $$$ than the Volt ?

After our 2012 Leaf was rear ended / totaled , we looked at the used Volts . And there were no used Bolts . More $$$$ than I felt comfortable spending .

My Wife and I are both on the large size . The used Volts we looked at were also not as roomy inside , as I was looking for .

We ended up buying a 2006 Buick Lacrosse CX 3.8l V-6 with 37,000 miles . This will end up being our road car and my car ( when I fully retire & loose the company pick up truck ) . Wifey drives the little red Sonic in town .

The Sonic gets 22 - 24 MPG summer ( in town ) . When it cools off enough that she is no longer using the A/C , she is getting 26 - 28 MPG in town . It gets up to 35 MPG or a little better on the highway .

Enjoy your new Volt ! :-)

Happy Thanksgiving , :-)
Wyr
God bless
Old 11-22-17, 10:11 AM   #218
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

So , do you have enough surplus PV production to supply the greater EV range of the new Volt ?

Wyr
God bless
Old 11-22-17, 10:20 AM   #219
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The Bolt has a little more passenger room than the Volt and the floor of the car is flat.

My old volt had a 16.5 Kw battery rated 38 EV miles
New Volt has 18.4 Kw battery rated 53 EV miles the battery is 1.9 Kw bigger battery.

We usually charge twice a day so that would be
3.8 Kw more a day 19 Kw more a week 76 Kw more a month this is for about ½ year we should be able to cover that.

The other thing is my son will start driving to school after we finish his Saturn SC2.

That will reduce our miles we drive by a lot.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 11-22-17, 10:35 AM   #220
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Best I remember , our Leaf had a 24 kwh battery . Wifey usually charged it at noon and all night .

Best I could tell , the cost of electricity , from our electrical utility , was about 1/2 of what we had been spending on gas for our Sonic .

Nice , but at $ 2 a gallon ( at the time ) no where near made it cost effective over the Sonic . But the Leaf was larger , more roomy and nicer car . We were happy with it , while it lasted .

Wyr
God bless