EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 09-27-13, 08:53 PM   #11
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

If the roofer refuses to put your desired color on after your reply, I'd say find another roofer that regularly installs Certainteed shingles and have them do the job. Is this one of the roofers that forces you to keep their sign out front for a 'discount'. My roofer didn't do that and so I'm sure he wouldn't have any qualms about installing even a purple roof or some other obscure color on my roof. If your roofer is the type that feels that his reputation attached to a sign on your front lawn would cause others to be wary of that roofer, I suppose that might be the reason that you could be looking for a different one if he doesn't want to install these shingles.

I just wish I knew they weren't going for a higher price, when I looked at a store's price in a region that actually sells these, the prices were higher than the shingles sold in my area from Home Depot. I didn't do enough research to determine that they weren't at a premium. My way of making up for it is the R60 ceiling insulation that I'm putting in, which even with your lighter colored and more reflective roof might benefit you a bit too, along with making sure you've got trees or overhangs blocking summer sun. I'm personally going to be adding 90% exterior solar shade cloth to my western facing windows next summer as most of my heat is sourced from glass. I've got AC but am trying to minimize its use and be certain about a 1.5 ton system if my current unit ever needs replacement.

Best of luck, hoping this guy ends up agreeing with your choice for the install!

MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 07:10 PM   #12
Courtney
Lurking Renovator

Default update

The roofer finally agreed, after that last email I sent him. He even said "Sounds good!" or something like that. He put a roof (black) on my mom's house a year ago, and he does put the sign out front with company name, but I haven't been offered the discount for the sign, and my mom says she didn't either. He said project starts in 4 weeks or so. I feel so proud of my decision to go with an Energy Star roof, even here in Michigan, after I had started out considering dark brown roof like many of the neighbors have. Thanks so much MN Renovator for your extremely helpful input.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 07:50 PM   #13
Courtney
Lurking Renovator

Oh, and I did get multiple quotes in the beginning, and ended up picking this guy b/c his quote was reasonable, plus he has done roofs of many ppl I know, including my mom, and several neighbors. He's local and has a very good reputation. Too bad he doesn't value the fact his supplier has an Energy Star roof, and too bad he doesn't brag about it in his pamphlet/advertising.
Old 10-04-13, 08:13 AM   #14
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, it is too bad. I'm sure a lot of people aren't even aware that there are energy star roofing materials that could help lower their bills...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 06:05 PM   #15
Courtney
Lurking Renovator

Default It's getting wintery, and no new roof

Now it's getting to be winter here, in Michigan. I emailed the guy a couple weeks ago, simply asking "When do you think my project will start?" I had already written him a check for $1,700, which he cashed immediately, like 2 mos ago. His email reply was "Hi Courtney, I'm not sure, I'll have to check my schedule." And then I never got anything more than that. Is it bad to get a new roof when it's below freezing? Should I put a hold on this project? Any thoughts would be so appreciated, thanks. (I wish I had a a brother who's a Marine, and really defensive of me, ha ha!)