EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-08, 01:09 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default $150 4'x8' Solar Panel

I was browsing over on BuildItSolar.com and found this. It is an awesome and simple design using PEX tubing and aluminum heat transfer plates. Simply unbeatable price!

Solar Collector using PEX Tubing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 11:34 AM   #2
toyobug
avid DIY'r

that thing is awesome! and you're right, you can't beat that price. do you plan on building one?
toyobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 11:39 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

You betcha! I don't know when I'll get around to it though. Hopefully next summer.

My sunroom already has hydronic heat which is currently run off the hot water heater. I will be installing hydronic heat into my living room in the future as well. So, I really hope to build an array large enough to satisfy a descent amount of space heating needs.

&
Old 10-10-08, 01:06 AM   #4
Conradpdx
Lurking Renovator

Pex is not designed for outdoor use. It shouldn't be exposed to sunlight for significant amounts of time. It's simply not designed for it, it will degrade as most plastics do from exposure from sunlight. Look at:

PEX Products - FAQ

If your really looking for a cheaper way than say new cooper tubing might I suggest the grills from the back of broken refrigerators welded or brazed together, plus your water heater is then recycled instead of using a new oil based product.

If we can't be free, at least we can be cheap"--F. Zappa

Conradpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 06:12 AM   #5
Daox
Administrator

This is the quote from the FAQ.

Quote:
Can PEX be used for aboveground outdoor applications?

No. PEX is currently designed for indoor and buried applications only and is not recommended for outdoor, aboveground use. Short exposures to sunlight during construction are permissible, but should not exceed the manufacturer’s recommendations. PEX should be stored under cover, shielded from direct sunlight or in the original packaging. In the future, PEX products rated for outdoor use may be developed.

The thing is, in the design, the PEX is covered with either aluminum sheet or paint. The aluminum for sure is going to block any sunlight from degrading the PEX. The paint may not be the best blocker for sunlight, but its still not in direct light. That, or it could be covered up with something else (more aluminum perhaps).

I'm not saying the design is perfect. But, I do think you could make it totally workable and reliable.

&
Old 10-10-08, 08:43 AM   #6
Conradpdx
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
This is the quote from the FAQ.

The thing is, in the design, the PEX is covered with either aluminum sheet or paint. The aluminum for sure is going to block any sunlight from degrading the PEX. The paint may not be the best blocker for sunlight, but its still not in direct light. That, or it could be covered up with something else (more aluminum perhaps).

I'm not saying the design is perfect. But, I do think you could make it totally workable and reliable.

Yeah, but if you look on at one of the links the same guys builds the same one with copper pipe for $190.00. So for $60 dollars more you get.

1. 15% more heating capability.
2. a lot less fuss (since copper is more durable and can withstand the heat and exposure).
3. A heater that we know will last a lifetime.
4. Uses a highly recyclable product vs. a one use product that isn't recyclable.

Seems like a no brainer to me, it's just $60.00, and with the increase in efficiency will pay it's self off just as fast if not faster. Really copper pipe isn't that difficult to work with. Solder is a pretty easy thing to get the hang of, and it's a very good skill to obtain for DIY's.

Last edited by Conradpdx; 10-10-08 at 08:47 AM..
Old 10-10-08, 08:47 AM   #7
Daox
Administrator

Very good point. I didn't think about the recyclability of it!

I think for the average DIYer, the attraction of the incredibly simple PEX collector is very nice. For someone who is willing to go a bit further, the copper/aluminum collector is probably the better choice.

&

Last edited by Daox; 10-10-08 at 09:04 AM..
Old 10-10-08, 06:30 PM   #8
Conradpdx
Lurking Renovator

oh and I didn't read the whole Pex write up, but last time I used Pex I had to rent a specialized crimping tool for $20.00, because to buy it would have been expensive (it was 2 years ago but I want to say $100 plus. I know it was more than $60 because I'll just buy the tool if it costs 3x or less the daily rental fee or less if I know I'm going to use it again later. And I've only replaced about 20% of my indoor plumbing in my 80 year old house.

Old 11-01-08, 06:36 PM   #9
ac7ss
Eco-Apprentice

This looks like a good idea if you use the copper pipe instead. It has me thinking about an oil or water closed system for the bedroom and back bath in my house (thermal storage.) A small pump to encourage flow based on temp differential and a valve to shut it off in the summer.
ac7ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 04:20 AM   #10
toyobug
avid DIY'r

looks like a great idea.

toyobug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, solar