EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 01-07-13, 06:51 AM   #1
Paul F
Lurking Renovator

Question Heat pump purging

I have just installed a heat pump, the outside unit came pre-charged with R410-A, the connecting pipework was pre-evacuated and sealed but the interior unit was filled with nitrogen (not pressurised).
The seals on the pipework are pierced during connection so that the pipework remains sealed until part of the circuit.
The exterior unit has valves which seal in the R410-A until the circuit is sealed.
When the interior unit is connected to the sealed pipework, it is still full of nitrogen, so when the valves on the exterior unit are opened, the R410-A will fill the evacuated pipework and the interior unit but there will still be some traces of nitrogen in the system remaining from the interior unit.
Will this affect the performance a bit/ not much / seriously ?

Paul F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 05:21 PM   #2
BradC
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
Will this affect the performance a bit/ not much / seriously ?
Seriously. Why would they do that? It makes no sense at all to supply parts of the system per-charged like that if another part of it is pumped up with nitrogen.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 04:35 AM   #3
Paul F
Lurking Renovator

Hi BradC
I could just answer "they are french" but that would be a little racist.
I have had a long correspondence with the salesman (key word here is "salesman")
who tells me that they have been selling them like that for 5 years
however, telling me that you have been making the same mistake for a long time doesn't help,
I was hoping for a more scientific reply. My unit does seem to work OK but I'm wondering if it should work better, I was surprised by the residual nitrogen, not made clear in the "sales" blurb.
Old 01-08-13, 04:45 AM   #4
BradC
Apprentice EcoRenovator

As an Australian, any sleight on the French is humorous you silly Kniggit. Why do you think I have this outraaaaaegous accent ?

Let's look at it this way. Calculate the volume of the evaporator and the approximate pressure the Nitrogen may be under (all my Nitrogen gassed units here were under ~15PSI of Nitrogen). Now calculate the volume of that gas given the volume of the pipework in the evaporator and estimated pressure. We now have a quantifiable amount of N2.

Now, let's look at your Condenser and estimate the approximate condensation temperature you will see under "normal" conditions. Using Boyles law we can calculate the volume of that N2 at the condensation pressure and temperature.

Look at the condenser pipework and estimate how much of the condenser will be N2 under normal condensation pressures. That part of the condenser becomes ineffective. The N2 will sit at the top of the condenser taking up space and playing no part in the heat exchange process.

Now, 410A is a pretty high pressure refrigerant, so the real volume of N2 might be relatively small. None the less, you have paid for a condenser of size X and it would be nice to get that rather than X - N2 space. Lost space is lost efficiency, no matter how small.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BradC For This Useful Post:
Paul F (01-09-13)
Old 01-09-13, 06:21 AM   #5
Paul F
Lurking Renovator

Smile

Thanks Brad, very logical, I vaguely remember Boyles law from schooldays, I had to look up “Kniggit”, not used here, more likely to be called a “Rostbif”. Anyway, I like it here and I wouldn’t want to be accused of being a “whinging Pom”.

I didn’t know that the interior unit hadn’t been evacuated until I started to install it, then it was too late, not clear in the sales blurb. I am going to install a second unit but this time I’ll get an engineer to pressure test, evacuate it and fill it with refrigerant. That’s all tightly regulated here.

I tried researching the volumes of the pipework, molecular weights of nitrogen v R410A etc but Daikin doesn’t quote volumes and the formulas were getting more complicated. I found that R410A has a molecular weight 2 ½ times higher than nitrogen and that the outdoor compressor is “probably” pre-charged at about 120psi compared to indoor unit filled with nitrogen at atmospheric pressure (14psi) so I will “assume” (dangerous, I know) that the residual nitrogen gets compressed to a volume that will not affect the efficiency too much, I won’t know unless I get the system re-commissioned.

I will try to explain some of this to the salesman but I think I can guess what his response will be.

Anyway, thanks again, nice to get confirmation that I wasn’t on the wrong track.
Old 01-24-13, 10:44 AM   #6
learyyme
Lurking Renovator

I encourage you to check performance.

Last edited by learyyme; 01-27-13 at 10:23 PM..
learyyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 05:46 PM   #7
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Paul, if I remember correctly Brads "Kniggit" comment comes from Monty Python, Holy Grail.

Your system really should have been vacced out before the valves were open. Nito does nothing for the system and lowers the performance.

Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contamination, nitrogen, performance, purging, r410-a