EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-09-15, 09:56 AM   #471
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I put up the trim where the polycarb stops and the wood starts. The insulation will go up against this trim. I put up trim abound the door. I have two small pieces to go up to the right of the door. Then I can insulate the outside walls.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151209_093851.jpg
Views:	1256
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	6364   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151209_093926.jpg
Views:	1031
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	6365  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 08:12 PM   #472
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I finished the trim on the west side. I unloaded my roofing metal off my trailer so I can pick up my siding.

I found some Hardie Fiber Cement panels.
They are 4’ x 7’ I have never used this stuff before but I am getting it for $12 a sheet.
I don’t think I can go wrong for that.
I know it is heavy but the 7’ will go first then a 2’ piece will go above it.
It looks like fake T1 11

Has anyone put this stuff up? if so what do you think about it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151209_172948.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	6366   Click image for larger version

Name:	HB.JPG
Views:	947
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	6367  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-09-15 at 08:49 PM..
Old 12-11-15, 10:21 AM   #473
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

My wife has not been feeling well this week so I have been taking the boys to school and picking them up. That is the time I usually build on the greenhouse so I have not make much progress this week.

I went and picked up the fiber board this morning. 20 sheets. I would not use this stuff normally. But for $12 a panel I had to try it.
I picked up another 250 metal roof screws. I don’t want to run out and I don’t like to skimp on screws.

I picked up some aluminum flashing I and putting it under the XPS on the foundation so if a termite comes up under the building it will not find wood just this stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151211_105159.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	6374  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-12-15, 01:18 AM   #474
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Are those panels the James Hardie cement board with the 30 year non-prorated warranty? $12 a panel, do you have a contractors discount or something? In 1996, I built with the Hardie boards and they were bullet proof as compared to the other chipboard like boards that soaked up water, molded and flaked apart. The saw blades were special to account for the cement material.
Geo NR Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 06:47 PM   #475
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I was told they were Hardie boards I don’t think these came with the warranty. But hey it is a greenhouse so that is ok.
No contractor discount here. I just watch craigslist and they had a truck load sale. They were about 1 hour from me but 30 min was taking my kids to school.
I assume they got the deal because most of it was wet. I laid the sheets out to dry. They did pretty well hopefully tomorrow they will finish drying. I put the on 2 x 4's or pallets.
I bought the special saw blade crushed diamonds with like 4 teeth. $40 blade but it got good reviews.

It was a very nice day but I drove the Charlotte NC and picked up a used big green egg. I have been wanting to try one out but they are so expensive.
This guy was moving so he sold his BGE large with stand plate setter cover elect charcoal fire starter.
For $400 I was the first to email him so I got it. He was flooded with emails from people that wanted to buy it from him.

Here are the steaks that we had later that night. Seared at over 700 degrees then cooked on the hot wood fire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151212_163630.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	6375   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151212_164856.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	6376   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151212_182334.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	6382  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-14-15 at 10:30 AM..
Old 12-13-15, 08:35 PM   #476
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I installed the nailers and used spray foam to cover the seams and any gaps.
I put up the front roof metal and a couple pieces on the back roof.

It is going to rain tomorrow so I had to stack all the Hardie cement board. I don’t want it to wet again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151213_115018.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	6378   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151213_161331.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	6379   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151213_174545.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	6380  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-14-15, 07:56 AM   #477
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It was sprinkling this morning then it stopped. I went out and cut two more back roof pieces. I was going to try to install them but I got rained out. I put them inside so the freshly painted edges would dry.

At least I made some progress today is going to be a wash out. I have a better system for cutting the roofing now.

Like most things, I just get a good system down for doing something and it is time to move on to something else.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-14-15, 08:01 AM   #478
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
It was sprinkling this morning then it stopped. I went out and cut two more back roof pieces. I was going to try to install them but I got rained out. I put them inside so the freshly painted edges would dry.

At least I made some progress today is going to be a wash out. I have a better system for cutting the roofing now.

Like most things, I just get a good system down for doing something and it is time to move on to something else.
Yeah, it has been raining here all last night and this morning so I am sure it is blowing your way. It is pretty awesome how much progress you have made. Have you had any fish loss lately?
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 08:51 AM   #479
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Yes that is the storm heading this way.

The water is 66 F right now and the fish are starting to eat more they seem happy. I have not lost a fish in a long time. Knock on wood.
Even when it has been getting cold the fish water is only been losing 3 degrees overnight and so far I have been gaining more than that during the day. Now that I have the fish tank in the dry I will wrap the tank in a layer of fiberglass insulation under the tarp I have wrapped around it. That should help keep the heat in.

I hope over this weekend that I am able the get the cement footers in for the pallet racking. Then I can get in my first row of 55 gallon drums along the back wall. I need something in there putting back some heat as it gets colder.

I really tried to talk the guy selling Big Green Egg into letting me pick it up Friday night. But he was doing one last cook on it. Then he would not let me pick it up earlier that 9:00 am. I did not want to lose that build day. I wanted to get the roof complete over the weekend.
But my desire for a good deal won over.

Here are a couple pieces of aluminum that I bent up with my DIY sheet metal brake.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151213_092457.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	6381  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-15-15, 09:04 AM   #480
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

No more rain today. Work before work today was productive.

Back roof metal almost done. I need to insulate the left and right side of the roof vents. I will insulate the boxing by the roof vent just to keep it the same height. I will come back later to do all the trim finish work on the boxing sides.

The roof is protected from water and it is mostly just for looks.
I will need to move on to insulating the back wall and the side walls.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151215_090948.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	6391  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -