EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-11, 10:34 PM   #81
Daox
Administrator

I got mine from the local EV club guys who salvage parts from whatever they find. I would imagine you could find them on ebay quite easily. The one thing you must know is what mV drop the gauge is designed to use, and then you must get a matching shunt. Most are 50, 75, or 100mV drop shunts.

Here are a few auctions:

Ammeter:
Rectangle White Plastic Housing DC 0-200A Range Ammeter | eBay

Shunt:
Shunt Resistor for DC 200A 75mV Current Meter Ammeter | eBay

Ammeter and shunt with a digital display (nice because bumps throw the analog one all over the place).
200V 200A DC Digital Blue LED Amp Volt Meter Shunt NEW | eBay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
dh1 (09-02-11)
Old 09-02-11, 07:27 PM   #82
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I got mine from the local EV club guys who salvage parts from whatever they find. I would imagine you could find them on ebay quite easily. The one thing you must know is what mV drop the gauge is designed to use, and then you must get a matching shunt. Most are 50, 75, or 100mV drop shunts.

Here are a few auctions:

Ammeter:
Rectangle White Plastic Housing DC 0-200A Range Ammeter | eBay

Shunt:
Shunt Resistor for DC 200A 75mV Current Meter Ammeter | eBay

Ammeter and shunt with a digital display (nice because bumps throw the analog one all over the place).
200V 200A DC Digital Blue LED Amp Volt Meter Shunt NEW | eBay
Thanks I like the dual range unit.
1 meter for volts and amps, all you need, I think I'll buy 1 or 2.
dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 07:43 PM   #83
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Project finished.

Today I got the batteries snugged down & wedged in place, wire connections cleaned up (taped), the mower "hood" back on, and the digital voltage gauge installed.

Ran into a slight snag with the gauge: it's hard -- OK, practically impossible -- to read an LED gauge in direct outside light! Didn't consider that when I bought it.

So I couldn't mount it directly on the mower's motor cover, like I had been planning.

The workaround for the problem: I made a deep "visor" for it, from a black plastic bottle, by cutting the bottom out and cutting the neck open enough to mount (tape) the gauge inside at that end.

Looks like this now:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12v-gauge-1.jpg
Views:	1274
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1726   Click image for larger version

Name:	12v-gauge-2.jpg
Views:	1188
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1727  

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-04-11)
Old 09-03-11, 07:47 PM   #84
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Oh - and the gauge is not very accurate! It reads .2 volts lower than my multimeter.

No real surprise there (cheap junk!).

It's not really a problem though, since it's pretty consistently .2v low across a range of voltages I tested.

Even so, with this gauge installed, the batteries should enjoy a longer life -- free of battricide! I won't be accidentally over-discharging them.

PS - the gauge can also be disconnected so it's not drawing power when the mower's not being used.

Old 09-03-11, 07:50 PM   #85
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator

Good stuff, keep us posted with updates as to how the batteries are doing.
dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 10:04 PM   #86
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Will do! I plan to cut tomorrow, weather permitting.

Since I took on this mower project, I've also slightly reduced the amount of lawn needing to be cut, through a combination of creative landscaping and the acquisition of a back yard shed (to house said mower, among other things).

The reduced run time means the life of the mower's jury-rigged battery pack should be extended a little bit more.

Future plans for the yard are to reduce the amount of lawn even further. The best lawn is a minimal lawn, in my opinion!

Old 09-04-11, 12:05 PM   #87
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

The LED gauge works great.

25 minutes running time today to cut the whole lawn saw the voltage eventually at ~11.1 indicated (~11.3 actual) under load by the time I was finished.

(Though by the end, battery sag when starting up the motor was pretty bad @ ~9v, then quickly rising to ~11).

Old 09-15-11, 08:25 AM   #88
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

My neighbour asked me last week how much it cost in electricity to run the battery mower.

Answer: less than 5 cents for 3 uses.

~8 months/season * ~3 mows/month = ~24 mows/season, or $0.40/season

He said his gas mower uses ~1 litre of gasoline in 3 uses, or about $1.25

~8 months/season * ~3 mows/month = ~24 mows/season, or $10.00/season

EDIT: I did also remind him that batteries are "consumables" though, and if you're not getting them for free or cheap, you have to factor their replacement cost into the overall operating cost of an electric mower.

... then again, if you are getting them for free, and you get money back when you recycle them, you could possibly be in a net positive financial situation when it's all said and done!

Old 09-15-11, 09:27 AM   #89
Daox
Administrator

Haha, a net profit off free batteries. I laughed.

I estimate I use about 5 kWh per mow on average since I don't always mow the entire yard when I mow. 5 * 24 = 120 kWh per season for mowing. I pay about $0.12 per kWh. That gives me about $14.40 a season. I'm guessing I'd be over $100 per season if I was using gas. Thats a pretty decent savings.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-11, 03:31 PM   #90
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Post script:

Got a lead acid battery pack that just has enough capacity to do the job in warm weather?

Well it won't quite have enough juice to do it when it gets colder out.

Ask me how I know.

(Also, there are some leaves down, which take more power to mulch along with cutting the grass.)

So now I'm down to doing half the yard, recharging, then doing the other half later.