EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-16, 08:34 AM   #261
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I would have put a window shaker in our living room , but with the entry door and windows , there was not enough / favorable / practical place to locate one .

Then the idea of a mini split , over the entry door . This is at the east end of that outside wall . A very poor location , but just about the only location that just might work .

The MS would work better , in the living , room if I could have located it centrally along the outside wall . Such is life .

The drain line became a problem because of the lack of fall . Took a couple of attempts to solve that problem . No more leaks down the inside wall , above the door .

Drain issues MUST be solved !

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WyrTwister For This Useful Post:
Just One More (09-04-16)
Old 09-04-16, 12:02 PM   #262
Just One More
Helper EcoRenovator

Wife gives me a hard time if I install off-bubble. Now I've never had a problem with inside moisture aside from some mild condensation when using a flat bubble install. It could easily become a problem if I did not bend my refrigerant lines to avoid pressure on the drain line. I agree an actual drain leak inside would quickly become an issue to be solved and would no doubt quickly change my opinion also.
Just One More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-16, 09:09 AM   #263
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It was cold last night below 30F when I went to bed I went out in the living room and it was hot.
My wife fell asleep and the mini splits both were set to 78F. I turned them down to 74F and we went to bed.

All our min splits are working great. They don’t use near as much power as we use to in the summer cooling our house. We keep our house much cooler than we use to and still don’t use as much power.

This allows us to push or bank more power to use in the winter to heat with. We charge our car at least twice a day in the winter so that is 24Kwh just to charge our car then we use power in our house.

We have 3,429 KWH banked to heat with this winter.

It is just amazing to exclusively use solar power to cool and heat our home.
We are very happy with the decision to install mini splits. I and glad to see more people taking on DIY mini split installs and saving money.

We feel very blessed to cover all our power needs with solar power and all our heating and cooling needs with our mini splits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
ctgottapee (12-17-16), jeff5may (12-16-16)
Old 12-16-16, 10:33 AM   #264
stevehull
Steve Hull

Pinball,

You are very lucky to be able to "bank" summer excess kWhrs for winter use (yearly adjustment). So far, your utility is the only one I know of that does this.

Most utilities allow you to "spill over" just one month. Then if you don't use it, you loose it.

Others, pay you the "avoided cost of generation" if you generate in excess for the month, but no spillover to the next month.

Our last install was with a coop that does not do any monthly spillover, and does not give avoided cost of generation. All you get for spillover is what you use within the month (daily spillover). I had to be very careful with the design as it was easy to over produce (too many panels) and then get the homeowner nothing.

I bet when your PV distributed energy contract comes up for renewal, that things get "readjusted". Especially with the political winds as they will be on January 20 onward.

I am lucky as the open loop geothermal heat pumps allow me to fill up ponds in the winter. Those are used in the summer for pasture irrigation. So I am saving some energy, but nothing like what you have.

Enjoy your really sweet deal while you can!

Steve
Old 12-16-16, 10:44 AM   #265
Zwerius
Helper EcoRenovator

Overhere (in the Netherlands), it's a law that you can use the electricity you supplied to the grid in one calendar-year. This regulation will be at least until 2023. Same rates for supplying to and using from the grid.
Offcourse in this way the population is stimulated to invest in solar and for the government it helps to meet the requirements from the Paris agreement.
So, our yearly bill is approx. zero. This is all the normal electricity use, including heatpump, and cars (BMW i3 and Mitsubishi Miev).
Zwerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-16, 10:50 AM   #266
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

coop seem to be the worst with solar. The meter fee at our lake place is just under $30
They want to charge a per KW solar fee. If I install solar out there I could have a higher bill than I do now.
Last month we used 157 Kwh at the lake and my bill was $45.61
Crazy That comes to .29 cents a KWH with this low usage. With a very high meter fee the less you use the higher you pay per KWH.

Yes our power company rewrote the solar rules last year. They were approved.
I am grandfathered with my current deal until 2025 in writing and the letter is on my desk.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-16-16 at 12:00 PM..
Old 06-19-17, 01:01 PM   #267
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I installed my first mini split just over 3 1/3 years ago. We have 3 Gree 9,000 BTU 27 SEER Terra Ductless Heat Pump in out bedrooms. I have a two head LG in the living room and the kitchen.

We have not run our gas heat or central AC since I have installed all my mini splits.

At one point in this review ( http://ecorenovator.org/forum/33746-post117.html ) I said I really did not need the manifold gauge set.
I first bought a cheap set off ebay that was junk. Then I bought Yellow Jacket set that I really like. I have used the manifold gauge set a couple times since I installed my mini splits.

I think it was worth getting them and I am glad I have them.
(Jeff had correctly pointed out that I would be glad I had them later and he was right)
I bought a 25 pound Freon 410 and it is very nice having that handy.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 07-24-17, 02:22 PM   #268
Just One More
Helper EcoRenovator

Pinballlooking those Gree Terra 9000 are really nice for my downstairs bedrooms. I have an LG and Gree downstairs also. Great minds think alike I guess..... 8^)

Just One More is offline   Reply With Quote