EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-13, 09:40 AM   #1
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Solar space heating for shop

Here in Ontario Canada fall weather is beginning. Nice weather for working outside. For fellow Eco-renovator that have been following and remember 2 yrs. ago I had built and installed a homemade Ground source heat-pump under the tutelage of AC Hackers Manifesto in the shop. I would say the GSHP was a resounding success. Reduced my shop heating bill (furnace oil) from $2800.00/yr. to less than $500.00

Many may also remember the solar hot water heating system we had installed to my home also a very successful adventure. Reducing energy costs by a min of 1/3. If we receive a good solar fraction in-excess of 1/2 of the heating energy. Dollar wise $1200.00 approx.

Now I would like to install a solar heating system in the shop. The south facing wall is perfect for the application. I know what you maybe thinking, at a cost of $500.00 /year for heating why bother. 1./ the position of the shop is perfect. 2./ I still have a lot of copper left from the home system I had assembled as well as recycled tube. 3./ Windows have rotted corners I have to open the wall anyway to replace. 4./ Already have a hot water system ready for implementation. 5./ May reduce my shop heating bill to near zero. 6./ Electricity will always increase in cost therefore solar hot water is an excellent investment Sunshine will always be free!!.

In the photos is a captured typical temperature of glycol (solar collector)circulating in the system. When the sun is shinning minimum 6 hrs. per day is a lot of heat!!

So far the steel siding has been removed and the copper tubing that was used to convey the furnace oil from the tank to the furnace (removed 2 yrs. ago) has been pulled from the walls and readied to be recycled into riser tubes for the solar collectors. Boy I enjoy this type of recycling. I have a very simple method to straightening the tubing- give it a tug with the lawnmower and tree. It makes the tubing as straight as an arrow. The steel siding was replaced with couple screws to keep the insulation dry. In the photos is a pic. of the simple copper form tool that puts a groove in the copper strip stock to solder the copper riser tubes.

A little side note: I had stopped into my previous furnace oil sales office and the cost of furnace oil has increased to the price that would have pushed my costs for keeping my home and shop comfortable for the heating season to $10k WOW.

I would say the extra efforts and capital costs of Solar Hot Water and Geo thermal have well been justified. So if any other Eco-Renovators are on the fence It does work well!!

Randen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coppertubesrecycle.jpg
Views:	1995
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	3384   Click image for larger version

Name:	yardview.jpg
Views:	2265
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	3385   Click image for larger version

Name:	loosesiding.jpg
Views:	1930
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	3386   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1520.jpg
Views:	1955
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	3387   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1522.jpg
Views:	1901
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	3388  

Name:	install1.jpg
Views:	1896
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	3389   Click image for larger version

Name:	glycoltemp.jpg
Views:	1783
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	3390  

Last edited by Daox; 10-23-13 at 09:11 AM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 09:45 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Randen, you are a machine... I'm really looking forward to seeing this project progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 09:02 PM   #3
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Randen, I have 3 sheets of solar glass (46" x 96" x 1/8") if you need them. Good price, give me a call. It's hard to ship the glass and it is available to anyone but local will be easier.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 11:57 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Are you planning on using heat storage of some form? If not, why not just go with hot air panels?

&
Old 09-20-13, 03:11 PM   #5
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Solar hot water space heating for the shop

Well yes on the storage.

The office portion of the shop has in-floor heating. Its made up from 6" of concrete so it stores heat nicely. The shop however was built before I gathered much wisdom and knew nothing of efficiency. However the shop is full of machinery that do hold some heat. If the heating is shut off for a long weekend in cold weather I've never seen it below 5 Deg. C.

Here is a photo of the ceiling air handler that is already plumbed for the solar hot water. I believe that the solar hot water may even thermal-syphon we may require only a slow running fan motor.

And a photo of the manifold for the concrete in-floor heating. Originally the in-floor heating was done with an oil-fired hot water heater. It was fabulous. Many times I would see my secretary with her shoes off warming her feet directly on the floor.

As I had mentioned financially it isn't making any sense to install this solar hot water being heating the shop with the home-made Geo thermal is so economical, But we're on a roll.

As storage goes I do have another additional option. The original 1000 gal fiberglass storage oil tank that once supplied my home is slated for removal. One could have it spray-foamed and buried again for storing hot water.

We'll have to consider that a little longer.

Randen

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF9494.jpg
Views:	2014
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	3403   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9495.jpg
Views:	2043
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	3404  

Last edited by Daox; 10-23-13 at 09:12 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-20-13)
Old 09-24-13, 06:39 PM   #6
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default The Hard work has begun

I was a beautiful day here in Ontario. In fact the last couple have been. We have begun the task of replacing the shop windows with new narrow windows. This will increase the number of copper risers I can install for the width of the south wall. All the steel siding was installed with screws so its made it a non issue to remove. The bottom of the 2 x 6 studs have been drilled to make way for the 1" copper pipe. This will supply the lower manifold with the propylene glycol mix to then rise through the copper finned risers and gather all that free heat to keep the shop warm.

I had built the shop in 1987. I was 27 yrs. old Wow has time flown. The original windows were purchased in a lumber yard sale. Got them cheap. They are wood framed sliders. Not a great performer but did the job for a nice well lit shop.

By the end of this week should have the windows in and sealed up from the weather. More importantly the rough in for the Solar hot water. After which let the soldering begin on all those riser-tubes. (about 80 pcs.)

Randen

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_2398.jpg
Views:	1922
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	3411   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2399.jpg
Views:	1983
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	3412  

Last edited by Daox; 10-23-13 at 09:13 AM..
Old 09-24-13, 06:47 PM   #7
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Randen, I have more glycol and I have to come out your way in the next 2-3 weeks, if you need some.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 07:07 PM   #8
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Yes please I'll run some calculations for the amount required.

Randen
Old 09-26-13, 02:50 PM   #9
Daox
Administrator

So you're building the collector into the wall? What are you going to use for insulation behind it?

&
Old 09-26-13, 07:02 PM   #10
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

I'm intending on using Thermax insulation with the aluminum foil face. I will spray them black and fasten them with plastic washers and screws.

Randen