EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-14, 12:43 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Smart door locks

Yeah, this isn't energy savings related, but its cool.

Does anyone have or is anyone else considering purchasing a smart door lock system for their house?

For those that don't know, a smart door lock basically gives you the ability to use your smart phone as a digital key to your house. They all seem to work a little differently, but I really like the idea of not having to fiddle with keys with a handful of stuff (which seems to happen all the time). A lot of them will automatically unlock the door for you as you walk up to it, and lock it automatically when you leave. They also have features like being able to email or text a key to someone else, being able to control when that key works (what day of the week, what time of day), so its pretty cool. They also retain the normal physical key function, so you can always get in if you battery dies on your phone or something.

Here is a run down of what is available out there:

Your Door Is About to Get Clever: 5 Smart Locks Compared | Gadget Lab | WIRED

I am really considering the August lock. It looks nice and has the features I want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 02:04 PM   #2
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We have a place on Lake Hartwell. We go on the dock and don’t always have a phone with us. So I went old school on black Friday. I will be installing this on my back door. No more taking keys with us to the dock.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140430_144444.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	4360  
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 04:26 PM   #3
Genie Smart Lock
Lurking Renovator

It's a rapidly growing industry and offers great benefits. Who wants to fiddle around for keys or be locked out?

The Genie Smart Lock is the first door handle to be controlled by Bluetooth and wifi. Most of those on the market are deadbolts and we aim to help those that want their handle to be controlled from anywhere in the world.

Happy to answer any questions you guys might have.

Joel
Genie Smart Lock

Genie Smart Lock is offline   Reply With Quote