EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-11, 12:13 PM   #11
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default Cooling ?

Can you look at this chart and guess when they had a "Little Ice Age" in Europe?

Check it out, back in 1975 it was global cooling..

Notice the low count in the 1970s, and where the cycle was during April 1975..

And, ya gotta love NASA's sunspot predictions..

I predicting weather on the sun is harder than it looks..

But, not to worry, Solar Cycle 24 is here! (A couple of years late. It should have been near it's peak at the end of 2010).

Now that the sunspots are making a comeback, we don't have to worry about
freezing to death.. (Like when we dodged the bullet back in 1975)!!

Old 12-24-11, 12:29 PM   #12
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
http://images.intellicast.com/WxImages/TemperatureDeparture/usa.jpg

the 2 week forecast for boston is 40's way above average for winter..

only two days has the high been lower than 40 so far this cold season, usually that number would be 30
I hope it's in the 40s! It would make the season more enjoyable for me..
(And worse for people who love to ski, or do spin-outs in the mall parking lot)..

Is it man-made, or La Nina made?

"La Nina effect

The mild weather results in part from a phenomenon known as La Nina, a region of colder-than-usual area of water that pops up periodically in the Pacific Ocean. La Nina and its counterpart El Nino, a warmer-than-normal area of water, both alter the path of the jet stream that pushes weather systems across North America.

The strong La Nina in place last winter sent the jet stream on a southerly path, which opened the Midwest to colder air and snow from the north. At the same time, a phenomenon called arctic oscillation funneled even colder air from Santa’s neighborhood at the North Pole.

The result was the 12th coldest and second snowiest December on record.

La Nina had been predicted to be strong again this December, which led to the forecast of another cold and snowy winter. It was not to be.

“It fizzled,” Angel said.

Schaffer said the arctic oscillation is working in the opposite direction this year, forcing cold air over the top of the world and onto Siberia.

Read more: Let it rain? Predictions of harsh, snowy winter fizzle
Old 12-24-11, 01:53 PM   #13
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
New Global Warming Newsletter-Must READ!!
As worthy as the intention of your thread is, I really do think that it belongs in the "Billard Room" section, and should be moved there.

The original post and all responses (mine included) have nothing at all to do with EcoRenovator's DIY Conservation efforts.

-AC_Hacker
Old 12-24-11, 02:20 PM   #14
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
I hope it's in the 40s! It would make the season more enjoyable for me..
(And worse for people who love to ski, or do spin-outs in the mall parking lot)..

Is it man-made, or La Nina made?

"La Nina effect

The mild weather results in part from a phenomenon known as La Nina, a region of colder-than-usual area of water that pops up periodically in the Pacific Ocean. La Nina and its counterpart El Nino, a warmer-than-normal area of water, both alter the path of the jet stream that pushes weather systems across North America.

The strong La Nina in place last winter sent the jet stream on a southerly path, which opened the Midwest to colder air and snow from the north. At the same time, a phenomenon called arctic oscillation funneled even colder air from Santa’s neighborhood at the North Pole.

The result was the 12th coldest and second snowiest December on record.

La Nina had been predicted to be strong again this December, which led to the forecast of another cold and snowy winter. It was not to be.

“It fizzled,” Angel said.

Schaffer said the arctic oscillation is working in the opposite direction this year, forcing cold air over the top of the world and onto Siberia.

Read more: Let it rain? Predictions of harsh, snowy winter fizzle
all of the 70s and 30s stuff you mention fails to take into consideration starting new economies such as china and india effect on the climate.. you're refering to inadequate data to prove your point once again. but try as you may. all of these distractions have long been proven to be inaccurate science, especially considering the fact that youre completely ignoring another world of science and data out there. good try though.
I know those sun spot fake graphs seem like they couldnt lie, but when you throw one in with a santa sleigh on it, you realize you're not going to be taken seriously in this debate.
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 03:25 PM   #15
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default Texas drought??

"a santa sleigh"?? Dude you need a new monitor! That's a NASA prediction Roller Coaster!

If you are interested in knowing about why the climate changes, you should get
familiar with sun spot data.
The earth isn't a closed system. The sun has an Enormous impact on our weather.
Nothing can be subjected to zillions of watts of energy and remain unaffected.

I was born in 1946 in Texas. I spent a lot of time living in the hottest, driest, most dust filled environment,
that anyone had ever seen..

Our well went dry when pretty fast.. Every few days,
we had to drive the pickup about 10 miles to Salado to get water from the river.
I filled a 55 gallon drum using a 2 gallon bucket, while my grandmother
shopped in the general store.

This sure looks familiar..
30.947128,-97.53862 - Google Maps

I found the old farm house too. The well was NE of the house on that dry creek bed.

Prairie Dell, TX to County Rd 303 - Google Maps

Current drought pales in comparison with 1950s 'drought of record'

"the drought of the 1950s, the benchmark to which all other droughts
in Texas are compared. It ran from 1947 to 1957, and at its end,
a state water official called it "the most costly and one of the
most devastating droughts in 600 years."

The current drought is bad, but water experts and historians
say the 1950s drought blows this one out of the water. "

So, I've been there, and done that.. No big deal..

No, we didn't think it was the end of the world..
The Following User Says Thank You to Xringer For This Useful Post:
philb (12-24-11)
Old 12-24-11, 03:48 PM   #16
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

read this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/sc...pagewanted=all

Since satellites began tracking it in 1979, the ice on the Arctic Ocean’s surface in the bellwether month of September has declined by more than 30 percent. It is the most striking change in the terrain of the planet in recent decades, and a major question is whether it is starting to have an effect on broad weather patterns.

It is unusual for the polar vortex to weaken as much as it has lately. Last winter, one index related to the vortex hit its lowest wintertime value since record-keeping began in 1865, and it was quite low again in December.

James E. Overland, a climate scientist with NOAA in Seattle, has proposed that the extra warmth in the Arctic Ocean could be heating the atmosphere enough to make it less dense, causing the air pressure over the Arctic to be closer to that of the middle latitudes. “The added heat works against having a strong polar vortex,” he said.

But Dr. Overland acknowledges that his idea is tentative and needs further research. Many other climate scientists are not convinced, saying that a two-year span, however unusual, is not much on which to base a new theory. “We haven’t got sufficient insight to make definitive claims,” said Kevin Trenberth, head of climate analysis at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo.

Judah Cohen, director of seasonal forecasting at a company called Atmospheric and Environmental Research in Lexington, Mass., has spotted what he believes is a link between increasing snow in Siberia and the weakening of the polar vortex. In his theory, the extra snow is creating a dense, cold air mass over northern Asia in the late autumn, setting off a complex chain of cause and effect that ultimately perturbs the vortex.

Dr. Cohen said in an interview that the rising Siberian snow might, in turn, be linked to the decline of Arctic sea ice, with the open water providing extra moisture to the atmosphere — much as the Great Lakes produce heavy snows in cities like Buffalo and Syracuse. He is publishing seasonal forecasts based on his work, supported by the National Science Foundation. Those forecasts correctly predicted the recent harsh winters in the midlatitudes. But Dr. Cohen acknowledges, as does Dr. Overland, that some of his ideas are tentative and need further research.

We're reaching and beyond the point of no return
Old 12-24-11, 04:38 PM   #17
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

you should try to use this tool to prove me wrong
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/maps_v3/

Last edited by Solar; 12-24-11 at 04:41 PM..
Old 12-24-11, 07:28 PM   #18
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

Old 12-24-11, 09:21 PM   #19
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
read this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/sc...pagewanted=all

Since satellites began tracking it in 1979, the ice on the Arctic Ocean’s
~deleted~

We're reaching and beyond the point of no return

And a little bit down the page, it says:

Their theories involve a fast-moving river of air called the jet stream that circles the Northern Hemisphere. Many winters, a strong pressure difference between the polar region and the middle latitudes channels the jet stream into a tight circle, or vortex, around the North Pole, effectively containing the frigid air at the top of the world.

“It’s like a fence,” said Michelle L’Heureux, a researcher in Camp Springs, Md., with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

When that pressure difference diminishes, however, the jet stream weakens and meanders southward, bringing warm air into the Arctic and cold air into the midlatitudes — exactly what has happened the last couple of winters.

The jet stream moves around. There is nothing to make it always stay on the same path.
When it starts meandering, it's going to impact the weather..
Old 12-25-11, 01:31 PM   #20
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

now let me put that santa sleigh graph to shame with some NASA data

nasa data says sunspots NOT causing global warming
http://www.skepticalscience.com/sola...al-warming.htm

The Following User Says Thank You to Solar For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (01-02-12)