EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-13, 07:52 PM   #1
David
David

Default Cold ground water

Hello,

I have often looked at this forum and have found it to be very interesting and informative. I have not posted previously. This is my first post.

I am interested in energy efficient cooling .

I have a 25 metre bore (well) in my garden . It was drilled originally when temperatures in my area began to sore breaking many records ... this was the start of a 'drought' of 10 yrs approx. Australia is ' a land of droughts and flooding plaines " .

The bore was a financial disaster. Rather than providing water that would save my garden and in particular my 80yr old Golden Elm it proved almost as salty as the sea with high iron content. Whereas my neighbour's bore immediately opposite is beautiful clean water. Different aquifer it seems.

Coming to the point.The water from my bore is extremely cold. I was proposing to run a hose to my home with several connection points each servicing different areas eg bed room/s , lounge and kitchen etc

At each point I intend to run this cool/cold water through a coils of black poly pipe . I then contemplate using a solar powered fan to blow through these coils and into each of these sectors previously described. The water could then return from whence it came.

Has anyone done this ? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this idea may be realized.

Kind regards
David

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 10:51 PM   #2
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Small car style radiators is more common, the only problem is putting contaminated water back in to the ground, but being salt water with rust I don't see that being much of an issue, I would worry about the salt reacting with some of the metals that you might use, mostly iron in pumps.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 05:51 AM   #3
David
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Small car style radiators is more common, the only problem is putting contaminated water back in to the ground, but being salt water with rust I don't see that being much of an issue, I would worry about the salt reacting with some of the metals that you might use, mostly iron in pumps.
Hello, thank you for your reply.

I was planning to use 1inch black polly plastic garden piping .This was to remove the problem of rust. The iron in the water may collect on the inside of the tube but that would take a long time to clog the
the pipe.

When I said I would return the water to the bore i should have said back down 25 meters ie from whence it came.It would not be returned to some other adjacent aquifer which may become polluted.

I was not anticipating a massive reduction in temperature but the accumulation of cool air at knee level would eventually displace the warm air leaving the house cooler.

The reality is the bore cost me $15,000.00 Aus inc. a $2,000.00 pump and I am trying to turn some advantage out of this situation. The costs of removing the salt and the iron to make the water potable are too great .

If someone has some other suggestion as to what I can do with this otherwise useless well i would be glad to hear about it.

Kind regards
david
Old 04-04-13, 07:41 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

David, we must think alike. I have wanted to do something similar for a while. In fact, two years ago I did some simple testing with a barrel in my basement, a small pump, a car radiator and fan. You can check it out here:

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/geothe...html#post14998

The results weren't an amazing amount of cooling, but it did work. Scaled up I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work quite well. Check out my thread and let me know what you think. The setup is not exactly the same, but similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 06:54 PM   #5
David
David

Thank you Daox ,

I was thinking about placing a spiral of 'mains water filled black piping' down the bore hole (ie 25 meters deep). this would be a lot of tube but I was wondering if that would guarantee the coolest circulating water and remove any problem of rust and eliminate any risk of fouling another aquifer.

I would then need to consider the cheapest (ie as in cost of running) pump to cause this water to circulate.

I have also considered insulating the above ground pipe to prevent heating of the circulating water .

The next step might be to use a number of old computer fans to push air through a coil of black pipe into my selected rooms beside my existing ducted heating.

What do you think?

regards
David
Old 04-04-13, 08:04 PM   #6
Daox
Administrator

I think it'll take some calculating to figure out how much pipe you need, pump sizing, etc. But, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 10:35 PM   #7
David
David

Thank you

I will think on it.

regards
David
Old 12-26-13, 08:30 PM   #8
David
David

Hello,

I cannot work out how to post a new post.
I wish to ask anyone if they can provide me with an economic way of reducing the salinity of my bore (read Well) and reduce its high levels of iron.
My past research has led me to conclude that magnets are an expensive sham and Water filtration systems are very expensive if you are trying to filter the volumes of water I will need to keep my garden well watered in our hot summers. (It is early summer at present).

I am attracted to the use of osmosis and membranes.

This is really my intended post.

kind regards

David from 'down under' or as I like to say from up here'
Old 12-27-13, 05:24 PM   #9
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

David,

A few questions first.

1. Have you had a water quality analysis test done on your well? If not, you need to have one done by the public health authority.

2. How pure do you expect your filtered/treated water to be? The answer to this question along with your water quality results will guide you in a certain direction.

3. How much purified water do you need the system to produce? This will determine the size of the system.

Water treatment is a field of stark contrast. On the one hand, the big chain stores and several "independent dealers" sell both teensy and under-performing units with bloated claims. On the other, industries and government entities are required by law to do it right. There is not much middle ground.

The best thing to do before you go buy anything is to research and understand the process. Water treatment is done in stages, kind of like an oil refinery. One stage pretreats the water, preparing it for more stages that are further downstream. Another stage will remove certain contaminants. Another stage will remove the pre-treatment. Once the water is sufficiently pure for some purposes, it can be drawn from the system before further purification is done. The higher the purity required, the more stages required.

This is another one of those deals where homework done up front and making those hard decisions early can save you tons of money in the end. A good water analysis will tell you exactly what you need to get rid of in your well water, and how much of it. Then you can begin to wade through the thousands of systems (90% of which are essentially the same) and select what you need.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
David (12-27-13)
Old 12-27-13, 07:15 PM   #10
David
David

Thank you Dyson,

I have done all of the above.

I have considered magnets and after a great deal of research I have rejected them as a whole lot of Bull.

I think the best process for me will be that of reverse osmosis. but I need to find an affordable membrane That is what I am really looking for. I live on 1/2 acre with an extensive garden.

The bore is 25 meters deep delivers 4,500 litres per hour.

The salt level is absurdly high and the iron stains everything rust colour.

The sad irony (joke) of this is I have an neighbour immediately opposite me who also has a bore. His bore is the most prolific in my town It was drilled a month before mine by the same driller. He receives 10,000 litres per hour and it is beautiful potable water. The distance between the two bores (wells) is approximately 300 feet. We are bot obviously in separate aquifers. He would share his water with me but a busy roadway rules that out.

Some may say 'such is life'

But I have not given in just yet.

Thank you for your reply .

kind regards

Call me Rusty or old salty if you like

David