EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-11, 05:12 PM   #1
madmike
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Just Wondering?

I was just wondering if one could run something like a small engine lathe. The lathe I have has a 3 HP motor 220v 23 amp and also I have a small drilling/milling machine with a 1-1/2 HP motor 220V at 15 amp. Any thoughs on this?

madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 06:50 PM   #2
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I don't understand the question at all. Do you mean run it on solar or something?
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 06:55 PM   #3
madmike
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider3700 View Post
I don't understand the question at all. Do you mean run it on solar or something?
Sorry, I should have reread before posting. Yes I was wondering if this could be run with a solar system.
Old 09-21-11, 07:27 PM   #4
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Yes you can get the equipment to run that via solar. You can technically do anything with solar that you do normally. It's just not going to be cheap. 240 isn't too strange though. Most of the big manufacturers will offer inverters that can handle you needs. usually they are over $1000 though

The other factor is how long will that equipment be used before allowing the batteries to recharge. that will determine the size of the battery bank you need and the number of panels you need to recharge it.

Last edited by strider3700; 09-21-11 at 07:30 PM..
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 09:40 PM   #5
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

There are a lot of inverters that stack, giving you 220v, they of course need to talk to each other so that they can run in sync, but they often do that via a small communications cable, there are also a few out there that are designed for 220v AC output.
My parents have the grid turned off most days, using solar and wind, running an inverter that is about 12 years old, while I was out there today I did some welding, yesterday I used the table saw and drill press in the wood working shop, the shop also has three lathes, a milling machine, band saw and chop saw, all running off the inverter that is connected to the battery bank, charged by solar and wind.
I don't remember exactly how large their battery bank is but I'm thinking it was 24v and 1000 amp hours, not sized for spending many 8 hour days in the shop, but it does handle me driving my electric car over there, plugging it in and spending a few hours on a project without putting a huge dent in their storage, partly because a 3hp motor is only drawing even close to 20 amps for a second when it starts up and again right before the breaker trips if you manage to stall it, the rest of the time it's energy use is based off of how large of a load it is under.

Last edited by Ryland; 09-21-11 at 09:42 PM..
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 09:56 PM   #6
madmike
Helper EcoRenovator

Thanks for the great answers guyz. Now I know that anything is possible. I would probably run my biggest machine on a night shift type of schedual. My wife works nights and I am out of work at the moment, that is why I would like to trye something like this and be able to make some cash with my machines. I also have a line on a small CNC lathe, only thing here I would have to run a RPC (Rotor Phase Converter) for the 3 phase I would need for the CNC. The CNC could possibly run for 8-10 hours. What do you Guyz think?
Old 09-22-11, 08:51 AM   #7
Phantom
Apprentice EcoRenovator

MadMike other than just saying yes it can be done we will need to know some things.

What do you currently have for a solar system, including storage?
How much are you willing to spend?
Do you have a connection to the grid?
Are you wanting to completely provide power with solar or just off set your usage?

If you have not done much reading on solar check out Solar Power Generator - Instructions to build a generator using the power of solar
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantom For This Useful Post:
benpope (09-22-11)
Old 09-22-11, 10:33 AM   #8
madmike
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
MadMike other than just saying yes it can be done we will need to know some things.

What do you currently have for a solar system, including storage?
How much are you willing to spend?
Do you have a connection to the grid?
Are you wanting to completely provide power with solar or just off set your usage?

If you have not done much reading on solar check out Solar Power Generator - Instructions to build a generator using the power of solar
Right now I have no solar execept for my solar heater that will be useing a 20 watt solar panel and battery to run the fan. Right now it is more curiosity. I am hooked up to the grid right now, it would be nice to do this all from solar.
I realize that this will get expensive. Thanks for the link.
Old 09-28-11, 01:44 PM   #9
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Grid-tied systems are much cheaper than taking your home off the grid, as there is no need for storage batteries or a separate generator for times when the sun isn't cooperating {more accurately, when clouds, fog, rain, etc block the sun}. That assumes of course that your energy provider will allow it. Then, if you wanted to, you could start with as little as one solar module, one micro-inverter and a few bucks worth of minor hardware and be on your way to solar freedom.

gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote