EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-16, 11:22 AM   #691
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We had a 98 degree day this week the greenhouse was 90 degrees with good air flow.

My fish water temp was increasing so I did a high tech solution. I put a white tarp over where the sun comes in and heats the water up.

It is working well so far and keeping the fish water under 80 degrees.

Next Wednesday I am getting twenty more tilapia. From a fish place that is about 1 ½ hours away from my house. They are delivering fish about 10 miles from my house. This is so convenient and I hope it works out.
They are cheaper than what I have paid so far $1 pre fish.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160623_120101.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	7039  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (07-05-16)
Old 06-28-16, 10:51 AM   #692
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

My strawberries are doing a little better. We have had a heat wave so it is amazing they are producing at all.

I would like to get another 40-50 strawberry plants but I need to get my DWC growing better than it is now.

I am getting 20 more fish tomorrow. Hopefully that will help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160628_102128.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	7046   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160628_102135.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	7047   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160628_102143.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	7048  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 06-28-16 at 11:24 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-28-16)
Old 06-29-16, 09:19 AM   #693
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I picked up my fish from the fish truck today. That worked out very well.
This time we counted each fish as we added them to our tank.
I ordered 20 @ a $1 each they gave me 33.

They had Mosquito fish so I said give me a $1 worth .20 each.
He was like I put in 20 fish so it will be $5 the bag cost $1. I was ok with that so I bought them they were already bagged up.
We counted 65 of them when we got home. I am not sure how many will get eaten by my other fish.

Mosquito fish
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160629_084020.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	7050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mosquitofish.JPG
Views:	672
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	7051  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 06-29-16, 02:44 PM   #694
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It appears that all 65 Mosquito fish have been eaten. I wound not do that again.
I guess that is why I told him $1 worth.

At the beginning you can see how much air is being put into the fish water from the Hydrocyclone aeration.

No big deal I did want to try Mosquito fish out but now I know.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 07-04-16, 10:56 AM   #695
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The new fish are doing their jobs. The nitrates are back up. The plants love that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160704_084654.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	7058  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 07-04-16 at 06:30 PM..
Old 07-05-16, 08:02 AM   #696
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
My strawberries are doing a little better. We have had a heat wave so it is amazing they are producing at all.

I would like to get another 40-50 strawberry plants but I need to get my DWC growing better than it is now.

I am getting 20 more fish tomorrow. Hopefully that will help.
Those strawberries will take over whatever bed you put them in if you keep them watered. In the sweltering summer heat, as long as they stay in the shade, they will survive and continue to produce like tomato plants. The main way strawberry plants are murdered is by sunburn. They are bred to grow underneath other plants. They don't need much sunlight to flourish.

What plants you have growing look ultra spectacular. Just give them some room and you wont be disappointed. P.s. strawberries will grow year-round if you let them.

Hahaha big fish eat little fish! That's why they call them feeders. The bluegill will gobble up the mosquito larvae if they aren't overfed. Even if they are, they might just do it for fun. Because fish get bored too.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 10:10 AM   #697
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I did not know bluegill and catfish would eat mosquito larvae. Thanks for sharing that info!
I would like to end up with strawberries in the DWC. I would like to have 50 or so plants.
The DWC is already starting to look better since I got more fish. I will be trying strawberries back in there soon.

It is so hot here now the auto vents never close completely.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 07-11-16 at 11:07 AM..
Old 07-11-16, 10:23 AM   #698
LJKeenan
Lurking Renovator

seems like your learning and doing a great job. makes me want to try. *wonders if salmon will work*
LJKeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-16, 11:01 AM   #699
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Thanks it has been an enjoyable journey.

Some quick searching it looks like salmon would have some challenges. Maybe start with a different simpler fish and get the hang of how to operate a system before trying something tougher grow out.

Bluegill and catfish can handle a wide range of temps.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 07-13-16, 09:35 AM   #700
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

This is really my wife’s garden but she does not seem to have much interest lately. So for now I guess I will have to do more with it.

I took out some of the tomato plants I will probably take about a few more. We have had an extended 90-98 degree days but the fish water is 82 degrees. This is great last year I had trouble keeping it form going over 90. If it gets any higher I will they the heat exchanger at night to cool off the fish water. I might try it just to see how well it works.
The DWC (deep water culture) is doing better with the new fish and all the fish are eating more.

I sold two of my IBC containers (I got more than I paid for them) I really only need three to capture rain water. It is good to have them gone I need to start cleaning up the construction zone and get rid of things I got but did not use.

I keep just under 1,000 gallons of captured water to top off the system. I really think two 330 gallons would be enough total 660 gallons but I would like to have more than I need than not enough.

The tomatoes have grown up over the cables and more than 1/2 way back down to the bed.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160713_094629.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	7071  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 07-13-16 at 02:15 PM..