EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 03-31-15, 06:02 AM   #1
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Default New Heat Pump Mini Split

Just ordered , from a local vendor . a 11,800 BTU 16 SEER Friedrich mini split HP . The way I read the documentation , it is an inverter drive unit .

This will be our second mini split , to be installed in our bedroom . It is intended to take the place of an existing window shaker .

I like to / hope I learned some things during the first install and hope the install will go some what easier .

I have copper tubing left over from the first install , order insulation for the line set . Will need to scrounge the drain line , wiring and disconnect . Will either buy a mini pad or 12" x 12" flag stones to set the condenser on .

As mentioned , this MS will be located in our bedroom . Two outside walls to choose from . The one I prefer would put the inside unit above the head of out bed . I could set the unit to position the louvers as horizontally as it will go . Hopefully this would keep the air blowing directly on us .

The return would flow back over us .

If it is as quite as the one in the living room / dining room , I am not worried about the noise . Should be quieter than the window shaker .

I am expecting the remote control to be IR . There is a dresser & mirror on the wall opposite the head & foot of the bed . With the indoor unit effectively located above our head , I am wondering if we will be able ( while in bed ) to aim the RC at the mirror , bounce the IR " beam " off the mirror and back to the IR receiver at the indoor unit ?

While the SEER rating of 16 may sound low with today's technology , our central unit ( which I rarely run any more ) is 13 SEER & the living room / dining room MS is also 13 SEER . So it is some improvement . And I doubt if the energy raring of the window shaker is a world beater ?

Plus , I read the 16 SEER is enough to get us into an inverter drive compressor . This should slow down under low load conditions and improve energy usage . We live in a mostly dry climate , so I am not hugely concerned with dehumidification .

I will most likely to , again , use white aluminum rain gutter down spout to cover / hide the line set . As it comes down the exterior wall .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 10:26 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

The mirror should reflect the IR.

It sounds like a nice upgrade to me. I still put a window shaker in my bedroom for those real hot or muggy days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 04:40 PM   #3
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Being lazy , I leave the window shaker in the window 12 months a year . This results in cold drafts i9n the winter .

Probably hot air drafts in the summer , too , but not noticeable with the window shaker running .

When I get the MS running , I will probably remove the window shaker . This will , I hope make the room " tighter " all year long .

I hope the MS is large enough not to need the window shaker for supplemental cooling .

Thanks , :-)
Wyr
God bless
Old 03-31-15, 08:29 PM   #4
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Very nice!
I don’t know the size of your bedroom but with 11,800 BTU I but you will not need the window shaker we have a 9,000 BTU unit in our bedroom and it is plenty.
our bedroom is 19' x 14' the a attached MBath 19' X 12'. once in a while in the winter when it is real cold I will have a small fan blow heat into the MBath door.

The nice thing about inverter drive is a bigger unit is not a very big deal it just runs slower.

Our remotes can be pointer almost in any direction and they work fine.

We have ours to the right of the bed it is no problem.

My oldest boy has his directly over his bed he just angles the air flow higher. When they first got the mini splits they both used sleep more they are whisper quite.

But now no one uses that mode they are plenty quite.

Take lots of pictures and good luck with the install.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 03-31-15 at 09:49 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 09:10 PM   #5
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

How dry is "dry"? If it's really dry, an evaporative cooler would probably make more sense, or at least a hybrid.
Old 03-31-15, 10:38 PM   #6
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

When I pick the location for a mini major consideration is where the power will come from. Depending on your window shaker you might already have a dedicated 240 outlet nearby.
Typically in hot as heck TX 12kbtu will cover 600sqft for cooling. We tend to over emphasize cooling load while the heating load can be near double the cooling requirement. Still thats enough heating for at least 300sqft.
I've been installing a lot of the Gree minisplits, the Terra 9k is 27 seer and the 12k is rated at 25 seer. The 12k was using about 420 watts when I tested it out. Good luck! Take an amp reading if you can.
gtojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 10:43 PM   #7
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Have you been having good luck with the Gree?
I have three of the Gree Terra 9k 27 seer units we really like them.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-15, 01:44 AM   #8
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
How dry is "dry"? If it's really dry, an evaporative cooler would probably make more sense, or at least a hybrid.
We had swamp coolers for years . With our water chemistry , they are a maintenance head ache . Add in " normal " corrosion . They are a self destructive device .

I was very glad to wave goodbye to the swamp cooler . Plus the city has really raised the cost of water . :-(

God bless
Wyr
Old 04-01-15, 01:52 AM   #9
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtojohn View Post
When I pick the location for a mini major consideration is where the power will come from. Depending on your window shaker you might already have a dedicated 240 outlet nearby.
Typically in hot as heck TX 12kbtu will cover 600sqft for cooling. We tend to over emphasize cooling load while the heating load can be near double the cooling requirement. Still thats enough heating for at least 300sqft.
I've been installing a lot of the Gree minisplits, the Terra 9k is 27 seer and the 12k is rated at 25 seer. The 12k was using about 420 watts when I tested it out. Good luck! Take an amp reading if you can.
Power is pretty much a non issue . A matter of me getting my fat self under the house and running a new Romex . Part of the documentation list the unit as 230 VAC . Part list it as 120 VAC . Either way is not a biggy .

I will no doubt take an amperage reading . With an inverter drive , amperage should change as the compressor " unloads " .

God bless
Wyr