Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 10-31-10, 12:56 PM   #61
Patrick
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Alright, here is a rough picture of what I was thinking of. I am very much open to suggestions. I'd really love to simplify it, but I'm not sure how without sacrificing functionality and ease of building. Also, the flapper vents would seal better if they were oriented vertically (90 degrees rotated from how they are in my picture), but the air can only flow upwards then (so gravity holds it closed).

I like your design, except that I would probably put the filter in the top or end of the box to make it easier to change.

Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 03:53 PM   #62
Daox
Administrator

Good point. I avoided putting it on the top due to dust settling on it. Perhaps on the side would be a good compromise. I was thinking of attaching it with some sort of channel so you could just slide it in and out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 11:47 AM   #63
Phantom
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Instead of having the filter under or on top cut the side at an angle and add a lip to hold it in place. So instead of the left hand side being an L with the filter at the bottom make it \ with the \ being a filter.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 08:53 PM   #64
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Hi,
This one requires a "small" modification to your attic roof, but it appears to work well:

IWillTry.org Build a Solar Attic

-----------
I wonder how well the attic would do as a heater if one eliminated the attic ventilation and did some form of simple insulation on the north facing part of the roof.

I realize the attic ventilation is there for a reason, but if one could get worthwhile heat from the attic, maybe it would be worthwhile having forced attic ventilation controlled by sensors that only ventilate when the attic needs ventilation (maybe when the humidity is too high?).

Seems like there ought to be some simple way to turn an attic into an effective solar collector?

Gary
GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaryGary For This Useful Post:
Daox (03-25-19), Phantom (11-04-10)
Old 11-03-10, 10:30 PM   #65
Daox
Administrator

Very good points Gary. I agree the attic is kind of a perfect but less efficient solar collector. You might as well use it for something. My first idea was just to run some pex tubing up there to act as a hot water preheater. You'd have to drain it during winter of course. But, that would be a very inexpensive option. This blower idea came a bit later, but I think it will translate into more energy captured vs the water preheating.

I really like the idea of closing off the attic vents to capture more heat. It would be quite interesting to see the effects this would make on how hot the attic gets.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-10, 10:20 AM   #66
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Wouldn't make sense to put a heat pump in the attic? This would "recirculate" at least some of the heat back into the house.

The vents are needed to let moisture out. If you have a nearly perfect vapor barrier in the ceiling, then you could close them off.
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 08:47 AM   #67
danneva
Lurking Renovator

this thread is too informative. It gave me some ideas. thank you all.
danneva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 09:26 AM   #68
iamgeo
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I'm thinking that you should be drawing air from near the top of the attic. As I see it, as the air is drawn from near the attic floor cooler air will be drawn into the attic via the soffets. Then the fans will be pushing that cooler air into your house.
iamgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10, 01:02 PM   #69
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Wouldn't make sense to put a heat pump in the attic? This would "recirculate" at least some of the heat back into the house.
Good idea. I've learned that this is being practiced in some parts of the South.

If you're going to do this, it's important to vent the output from the "outside" unit of your heatpump out of the attic, otherwise your attic will become much colder than ambient in the winter and much hotter than ambient in the summer.

These conditions wiould be undesirable.

-AC_Hacker
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10, 02:34 PM   #70
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

delete... double post

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 11-24-10 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: delete... double post
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attic, heat, reclamation