EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-16, 08:43 PM   #11
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Congrats on the new addition to your family!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 01:06 PM   #12
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

My green beans and cucumber vines (the small green patches between the green bean rows) are coming in pretty well.

natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 06:32 AM   #13
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Congratulations on the new arrival. Prepare to lose way too much sleep for the indefinite future.

The tourists didn't show up to work on the garden, Noone wanted to pitch in to have farmer brown till up the plot, and everyone says they're too broke to buy plants. So it likes we will be having a weed garden this year. My dad just had shoulder surgery, so he is down for a month or two. Looks like I will be giving away some seedlings and growing a few of this and that in containers.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-16, 09:44 AM   #14
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The garden is doing quite well. We got a ton of rain over the weekend, so the plants are exploding! I am going to prune my tomatoes today or tomorrow. Since I have a few of each variety, and they are all indeterminate types, I am going to try pruning some to a single vine and others to two or three main vines.
Tomatoes, lettuce, and carrots:

Green beans and cucumbers with an A-frame trellis made from concrete remesh (I need to stake it down a bit better):
Old 06-08-16, 09:49 AM   #15
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Plants are looking good.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 06-15-16, 02:28 PM   #16
Higgy
The Gardener

Oh hey, that A frame for the cuc's might work in my garden. Mine always go crazy with the vines. I like that.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-16, 07:24 AM   #17
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

We had a pretty windy storm last night. From what I was able to figure out, we had at least 40 MPH wind gusts. It blew everything around but it appears nothing was broken. Here is my 2' diam squash plants turned over:

My tomato cages held just fine!

Here is a better look at my anchors (just two sticks of 2.5' rebar zip tied to each cage):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Oh hey, that A frame for the cuc's might work in my garden. Mine always go crazy with the vines. I like that.
The A-frame held up, even in the wind. My cucumbers are starting to grow up it, so I am hopeful!
Old 06-17-16, 01:56 PM   #18
Higgy
The Gardener

That wind is just evil sometimes. I had some bad wind last weekend and stuck some plywood in front of the tomatoes just to stop the wind a bit.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 08:31 AM   #19
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default End of June Status

So, due to El Nino, the South is starting to experience drought conditions. While they may not be as bad as California has previously experienced, only time will tell. We have had a few thunderstorms, but they have all been pretty small and localized. The last couple of thunderstorms have completely missed my house, ugh! Here is the precipitation we have gotten in my area:

So, with such low rain numbers, how is the garden doing? Quite well actually. I haven't watered the garden once, until last night! I have been picking plenty of squash, green beans, and cucumbers. I haven't gotten any ripe tomatoes yet, but I have tons of green ones ready to start ripening up. I am now a firm believer in light colored mulch, it really helps reflect the heat and keep the moisture in the soil. Here is pictures of my garden last night, right before I watered everything.

I didn't have a chance to check the garden out this morning, but I think the 2 hours of drip hose irrigation should have helped. I may water again tonight or tomorrow night depending on how everything looks. Yes, I need to do something with all the grass and weeds growing. I am starting to lay some cardboard down to suppress the weeds. I will cover the cardboard up with some more wood chips and just leave it there to decompose and help keep the weeds at bay.

Last edited by natethebrown; 06-29-16 at 12:14 PM..
Old 06-29-16, 09:51 AM   #20
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

You are doing good only watering that much.
When I have a exposed garden I was watering $75 - $100 a month.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -