Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-15, 08:26 AM   #1
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Energy efficient new build

We are in the process of completing a new build here in Spain. It is around 140 M2 (1500 ft2) in size and although the plan wasn't to employ any new technology in its construction I wanted to try to make it as energy efficient as possible.

The climate here varies considerably during the year although it rarely goes below freezing we do have several fairly cold months and very strong winds that can have significant impact on the heating of the house. Summers can get up to 40C although typically they are around 35C daytime and 25+ C night time.

The 'house' that was on the site where we have built was a typical Spanish mess of a 150+ year old stone boulder+mud+whatever else was around roughly 15M2 with 1.5M thick walls making the usable space little more than space for a bunk bed.

Then there was a very small bathroom/shower, a lounge kitchen and 2 bedrooms. These were bits added on at various times with a mix of (all un insulated) roofs at different angles with leaks :-( On the back was a water store with a huge crack that meant it could only be half filled and a boiler room with a low door (I hit my head many times!) and a wash room.

All ok for the summer but very hot and in the winter extremely cold as it faces into the prevailing wind.

The new build occupies pretty much the same area as the old bits but has a much better distribution of the rooms. There are 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, lounge, sun room and wash room, I moved the boiler out for reasons that will become clear later.

The old buildings were all demolished at the beginning of November 2014.

Acuario

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bunks.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	5461   Click image for larger version

Name:	mix.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	5462   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0087a.jpg