EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-15, 01:24 AM   #21
TechShop
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Yeah, I can definitely see every thing there. Everything there is wrapped in a photobuchet URL, so there's a lot of chance that permissions may not be conveyed properly.

I upload my pix to EcoRenovator, so the chain of addresses to the photo is very short.

-AC

When I wrote my posts, I didn't realize this site allowed uploading images. After reading your comment, I looked a little closer at the interface and found the attachment (paperclip) button. I just went back through the thread to upload all of the same images in the same order. Let me know if you can see them now.

TechShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 06:53 PM   #22
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

I can see them all but I didn't look for a few weeks.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikesolar For This Useful Post:
TechShop (09-05-15)
Old 09-08-15, 10:40 PM   #23
skyking
Helper EcoRenovator

Nice project
I installed a horizontal system for my brother in Yakima.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/geothe...m-install.html

It is at 6', and works OK. I wish it were deeper now. If you go in at 7' or 8', do you really think you'll get into it with track modifications?
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 11:50 PM   #24
TechShop
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Nice project
I installed a horizontal system for my brother in Yakima.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/geothe...m-install.html

It is at 6', and works OK. I wish it were deeper now. If you go in at 7' or 8', do you really think you'll get into it with track modifications?

I checked out your install, that drain-pipe setup is a neat idea for the dry side of WA.

I would have no problem with going 10 to 12 feet deep in a horizontal system, however, I just don't want to lock myself into a long-term plan for that portion of my property plus When I get on a dozer, I tend to go a little wild with clever cuts and fills on the MX track. I have considered making a horizontal setup (like the one in your thread) using my parking area in front of the building. It is not paved and will eventually be getting a bit of dirt removed to give it a better slope for the rainy season.
Old 09-09-15, 12:25 AM   #25
skyking
Helper EcoRenovator

you only need a 2500 s.f. pit for a big system. you should be able to leave a little patch like that alone
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 11:28 AM   #26
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechShop View Post
When I wrote my posts, I didn't realize this site allowed uploading images. After reading your comment, I looked a little closer at the interface and found the attachment (paperclip) button. I just went back through the thread to upload all of the same images in the same order. Let me know if you can see them now.

Yes, they are showing up, thanks for the effort.

BTW there is an icon for posting pics in-line, so they show up along with your text. The icon is the tiny 'mountain & sun' icon that is 5th from the right.

To use it, after you have your pix in EcoRenovator, do a right-click and grab the 'image address'... then put your text cursor where you want the image to show up and click the 'mountain' icon, and past the image address in the little box that will appear. It's much easier to do than to describe, but going forward, it really helps things make sense.

Best,

-AC
Old 09-09-15, 02:58 PM   #27
TechShop
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Yes, they are showing up, thanks for the effort.

BTW there is an icon for posting pics in-line, so they show up along with your text. The icon is the tiny 'mountain & sun' icon that is 5th from the right.

...It's much easier to do than to describe, but going forward, it really helps things make sense.

Best,

-AC
That makes perfect sense. I'll upload them here and put them inline in future posts and threads. It sure does make more sense when the text and images correspond to eachother in a chronological order.
Old 10-26-15, 11:21 PM   #28
TechShop
FNG

Default Test day

This evening I decided it was time that I conduct some testing on my system.

I am running a combination of closed loop and open loop for the time being until I connect my second (much larger) ground loop.

Closed loop = 300' trench 7' deep x 3' wide. 2 parallel runs of 1-1/4" HDPE.

Open loop = 3" x 8" - 50 plate HX. One side of this HX inline with the return from the closed ground loop. The other side is connected to a shallow well feeding water in at approximately 5.5 GPM @ 49F.

I cobbled together a control circuit using an Arduino Duemilanove to read a TMP-36 temperature sensor. The Arduino sends a signal to the Omron ZEN PLC which controls the pumps and calls for heat to the HP.

The HP is currently running in the high mode (2 stage scroll compressor) at maximum output. It has been running for approximately 2.5 hours.

The heat exchangers output hot water into a 52 gallon water tank. The 40' x 60' concrete floor is fed by a Taco 006 circulator from that tank.

Here are some run data:
20151026 @ 2115
===============
-HP inlet water temp @ 42 F
-HP outlet water temp @ 36 F (.555v @ DMM)
-Floor manifold inlet temp @ 100 F
-Floor manifold outlet temp @ 64 F
-Floor manifold flow @ 2.5 GPM (approximate / cheap flow meters)
-Floor manifold 45036 BTU/Hr (approximate due to flow meters)

The heat output of the system is very stable and the BTU / Hr calculation seems to be right in the ballpark of the original split HP output as published by Carrier in their documentation.

I still have a lot of work to do to complete the installation. Some of the plumbing is very "temporary". The electronic control system is cobbled together and incomplete. I will start with adding more temperature probes, good flow-meters at every stage and a data logging system.
The Following User Says Thank You to TechShop For This Useful Post:
Daox (10-27-15)
Old 10-27-15, 03:18 PM   #29
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I guess this means you found a micron gauge. It is good to see you brought the unit to life. I commend you on your success so far. I imagine you will save lots of energy heating your floor this winter.

Now that the unit operates, either the fun part is about over or has just begun. It all depends on your style: if you like building things, the fun part is nearly over. Otoh, if you like to twiddle and tweak, most of the exciting work is yet to come. Either way, both aspects are very important concerning longevity and effectiveness.

As always, I encourage and urge you to detail and chronicle your project as best you can. working systems such as yours help to dispel the myths and mysteries surrounding the entire realm of heat pumps in general. There exists a widespread aura of alchemy and wizardry concerning phase change systems in general, and industry pros perpetuate this train of thought. Pump and dump AND ground loop systems are routinely dismissed as uneconomical or too high-maintenance to be practical. What you have shared already shows this can be done without spending an impossible amount of time, labor or money.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-15, 07:25 PM   #30
TechShop
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
...Otoh, if you like to twiddle and tweak, most of the exciting work is yet to come. Either way, both aspects are very important concerning longevity and effectiveness.
My goal includes a lot more refinement of the whole system. I want to get some more accurate temperature monitoring and flow metering equipment connected with a new control system. Good data will be key to refining the system for best efficiency and longevity. The tweaking of settings and control strategies will probably take a few years until I'm happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
...help to dispel the myths and mysteries surrounding the entire realm of heat pumps in general. There exists a widespread aura of alchemy and wizardry concerning phase change systems in general, and industry pros perpetuate this train of thought...
This is my first large, in-depth refrigeration project. I have learned a lot along the way. One thing I learned is that many people within the HVACR service trade feel threatened by the free sharing of information. That is a real shame. There is no voodoo here, just a mechanical system bound by the laws of physics. Only the lowest rung, the service tradesmen seem to perpetuate the "There be dragons" mythology... The engineering & manufacturing side of the industry does not seem to share this fear-mongering approach.