EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-13, 11:24 AM   #51
berniebenz
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
Thanks for the thoughts AC

I was thinking about controlling the heat-pump water heater system. A better temp controller and delay timer in-case of a power interruption also possibly some "time of use" system for operating the system during the lower cost for electricity. 7:00 pm to 7am
I seen that Hv23t used some Omron timers etc. If anyone could suggest some control Ideas would be great.

Randen
Randen, I have done just that!
In the A7 AirTap install thread, see my 7-16-13 post #314,
“Integrating A7 control into propane DHWH with TOU electric rate schedule.”

Regards, Bernie

berniebenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-13, 09:17 PM   #52
Hv23t
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
OK, I can't help myself. Here's the difference:

The Airtap unit Xringer installed is a pre-engineered, somewhat drop-in unit. The Water heater fitting is made so you can assemble the whole shabang without much chance of anything bending very much. The Heat exchanger coil slides straight in, and can be positioned while the plumbing is somewhat dismantled. It has a swivel fitting, so assembling the plumbing presents no further twisting once the tubing is snaked into the vessel.

When HV23T made his heater, he snaked the exchanger coil through the rather large hole, leaving a few feet of tubing sticking out. He threaded these pigtails through the fitting, then tightened the fitting while the pigtails were still free to not spin the whole assembly inside the tank. If anything, the ends may have spiraled around each other a few revolutions. Once the through-wall fitting was tight, he then tightened the compression fittings for a waterproof seal.

The heat exchanger randy made is all one piece. Besides the wrangling of fitting the tubing through the bung hole, he had to twist the entire assembly multiple revolutions to tighten the through-wall fitting into the bung hole. Since copper is somewhat rigid, more so the larger the tubing diameter, when the exchanger contacted another surface inside the tank, it tried to crease rather than bend.

Rather than force it in and hope for the best, randy wisely decided to stop and re-bend his exchanger so it will fit. I would have done the same thing. Trial and error, man. That's what it's all about.

For what it's worth, I don't think it will make a whole lot of difference what shape the exchanger is, as long as it fits in the tank. Lanky snake or twisty slinky, as long as you put the thermostat down low in the tank it will sense cold inlet water arriving. Once the unit fires up, convection will mix the water pretty quickly.
Jeff is correct on this, I took the 30' of tubing, bent it in half and snaked it thru the hole pre bending it as I fed it in so it would coil up. After all but a couple feet were in I twisted the lines around each other in a counterclockwise direction. I then fed the two lines thru the two compression fittings on the plug , but I didn't tighten them. I then screwed the plug back into the tank in twisting the lines as I tightened. I then snugged down the compression fittings and Waahlaa I had a sealed tank.

Hv23t
Hv23t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-13, 10:25 PM   #53
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hv23t View Post
I then screwed the plug back into the tank in twisting the lines as I tightened. I then snugged down the compression fittings and Waahlaa I had a sealed tank.
Hv23t,

What do you have flowing through the copper lines that you are snugging down the compression fittings on?

-AC
Old 10-30-13, 10:59 PM   #54
Hv23t
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Hv23t,

What do you have flowing through the copper lines that you are snugging down the compression fittings on?

-AC
There is r290 flowing thru those lines.

Hv23t
Old 10-30-13, 11:16 PM   #55
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
There is r290 flowing thru those lines.
How are the lines terminated?

-AC
Old 10-31-13, 01:52 AM   #56
Hv23t
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
How are the lines terminated?

-AC

They are brazed to the lines on the dehumidifier.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2C751E4D-D234-450E-B0D2-A2D7954DE080-915-0000011D8812C2B4_zpsb0f61616.jpg
Views:	1048
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	3567  

Last edited by Daox; 11-13-13 at 05:40 PM..
Old 10-31-13, 08:30 AM   #57
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
They are brazed to the lines on the dehumidifier.
OK, great...

As you probably read, I trusted one of those compression fitting to seal r290 and it failed in a most sudden and unpleasant way.

I just needed to make sure you hadn't made the same mistake.

Best,

-AC
Old 11-07-13, 09:11 PM   #58
ThomSjay
Helper EcoRenovator

I was curious as well, about the compression fittings after AC Hacker pointed out the differences. It's good to see that in this case, Hv23t was merely using them to hold the tubing and to seal the plug/bung.
Old 11-13-13, 05:16 PM   #59
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default another hot water tank heat pump

Its been a couple weeks but have found some time for more work on the HWHP. Decided to mount the compressor and evaporator on top of the tank. I drilled down from the top and between the tank and outside cover through the foam to run the condenser lines to the condenser copper HX coil. It worked very well and was easy. The connections are brazed up.

Further work is needed to finish mounting and connecting the compressor and evaporator. Following that a nice cover. I ordered up a new anode and treated the tank with an acid rinse. Looking though the bungs it looks brand new inside. I tried to take a photo of the cork screw HX in-side but no can-do.

Dad is quite interested now in his new HWHP.

Randen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2538.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	3632   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2539.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	3633   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2540.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	3634   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2541.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	3635  

Last edited by Daox; 11-13-13 at 05:41 PM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-13, 06:30 PM   #60
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
...Further work is needed to finish mounting and connecting the compressor and evaporator. Following that a nice cover. I ordered up a new anode and treated the tank with an acid rinse. Looking though the bungs it looks brand new inside. I tried to take a photo of the cork screw HX in-side but no can-do.
Looks good and geeky.

The new anode sounds wise... but what's the acid rinse all about?

Wow, great work, but, too bad about the cork screw photos... There's a tsunami of web cams flooding into the thrift stores now. I just bet that with the smaller ones, the shell could be removed so that the functional guts could be squeezed inside through the bung hole.

I did something like this when I was drilling my bore holes in the back yard and experienced sudden fluid loss... the web-cam-in-the-hole revealed that I had drilled through an abandoned cess pool.

No, you don't hear much about 'cess' any more... not even the spelling checker knows what it is... and why did a pool of cess end up in my back yard?

Best,

-AC