EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 06-04-09, 01:31 AM   #1
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Default CO2 Capture and Storage

With all of this global warming and carbon reduction talk, countries are looking for ways to reduce the amount of CO2 they spew into the air. One of the possiblities is CCS - CO2 Capture and Storage. Carbon dioxide is captured from the exhaust of powerplants, factories, etc., and pumped underground into deep geological layers. This allows coal-fired powerplants to call themselves "zero emission".

Somehow this doesn't excite me. I don't see it as "zero emission", or as solving the problem. I see it as sweeping the problem under the rug. Sort of what people do with their trash - instead of reducing, they just bury it underground. As the saying goes, out of sight, out of mind.

The problem is not about CO2, it's about where it comes from. The real problem is how people use and waste energy. If more money, and especially good will, went into not wasting energy when we don't have to and raising efficiency of what we need, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 07:28 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

I agree completely Piwoslaw. So many people are completely ignorant of not only how much energy they use, but just common and sensible ideas that can drastically cut their energy consumption.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 10:07 AM   #3
Higgy
The Gardener

Agree as well. It's all about the almighty dollar and how much can I make before I die and who cares about this planet cause I'll probably be dead before the worst happens.

They don't seem to care about our kids who will have to deal with this crap. Some people at work joke about it saying things like "I don't care, it's going to be my kids problem not mine". It's like...WTF kind of attitude is that you moron. People are stupid. And if we're this stupid that the majority of us can't even put a plan together to take care of this planet and all that's on it, then maybe we deserve what's coming to us.

I personally hope that they start making these companies accountable for what they're doing and change things so that we can live in a cleaner environment and our kids can enjoy the beautiful places in this world as we have.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 12:03 PM   #4
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Agree as well. It's all about the almighty dollar and how much can I make before I die and who cares about this planet cause I'll probably be dead before the worst happens.
Sounds like a lot of people that I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
People are stupid. And if we're this stupid that the majority of us can't even put a plan together to take care of this planet and all that's on it, then maybe we deserve what's coming to us.
There is a part of me which sometimes wishes people would do something really stupid and put the whole race out. Unfortunately, this probably means taking the planet, and all of the beautiful things on it, with us, and that's not something I'd like to happen. Plus, not all people should disappear, though that maybe the best option.

If only each person lived in an airtight bubble, and inside would be their share of all of the CO2, methane, exhaust fumes, and other toxic gasses they took part in creating/releasing, or all of the oxygen from all of the trees they helped plant. It'd be their decision what they want to breathe. On the other hand, even today there are lots of people who voluntarily inhale smoke from cigarettes, or things much more vile (and not always legal).

Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote