EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Product Reviews
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-20, 07:01 PM   #11
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansolar View Post
Nice review! I've never tried an electric vehicle before..
Until July 2019, I had not driven, or been a passenger in any EV either. However, I managed to convince my wife to go test drive a used EV with me one night after work. (It was a used off-lease VW e-Golf with 16k miles on it, offered for around $13k.) It was that one short test drive that sold us on getting a new one (with larger battery, and DC Fast Charging). My EV was the first "New car" I'd ever purchased, for myself. My wife knows I'm thrifty, and yet willing to spend $$ on items we expect will benefit us in the long term. Not 5 minutes into the test drive, my wife said "This is awesome! You should get one..." Nine months in, I have not put 300 additional miles on my internal combustion vehicle since the EV arrived.

In the months since, my sister has added a used Nissan Leaf to her fleet of vehicles for her family of 4 drivers. She says she loves not having to put gas in something... Both of us have PV arrays on our house, and abundant sunshine to power our EVs.

If you can find some EV to test drive, take one for a spin. It may simply spur you to analyze your driving habits and determine what options out there might work for you in the future.

where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 07:22 AM   #12
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
Until July 2019, I had not driven, or been a passenger in any EV either. However, I managed to convince my wife to go test drive a used EV with me one night after work. (It was a used off-lease VW e-Golf with 16k miles on it, offered for around $13k.) It was that one short test drive that sold us on getting a new one (with larger battery, and DC Fast Charging). My EV was the first "New car" I'd ever purchased, for myself. My wife knows I'm thrifty, and yet willing to spend $$ on items we expect will benefit us in the long term. Not 5 minutes into the test drive, my wife said "This is awesome! You should get one..." Nine months in, I have not put 300 additional miles on my internal combustion vehicle since the EV arrived.

In the months since, my sister has added a used Nissan Leaf to her fleet of vehicles for her family of 4 drivers. She says she loves not having to put gas in something... Both of us have PV arrays on our house, and abundant sunshine to power our EVs.

If you can find some EV to test drive, take one for a spin. It may simply spur you to analyze your driving habits and determine what options out there might work for you in the future.
I think people who don't own EV's underestimate the convenience of not having to fill up. After 4-1/2 years of driving EV's you'd have to drag me back to a gas car with my hands and feet tied.

People are starting to buy a lot of battery yard tools, I went into Home Depot a month ago and the number of battery mowers stunned me. That can only be good for EV's.
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robaroni For This Useful Post:
pinballlooking (07-16-21)
Old 09-23-21, 06:30 AM   #13
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Thanks Dave,
There's a lot of misinformation about the battery recall. I just got a notice from GM and there is nothing about parking 50 feet away from people or some of the other main stream news that's just not true.

This was an LG problem, not a GM problem and I think LG is going to take most of the hit for it just like the Kona with LG battery problems.

I've been driving Bolts for about 4 years now and it is a really good car with very few issues but this is relatively new technology and new technology is subject to unforeseen problems so I expect that, just like cell phones had problems before the technology was updated and improved. In five years nothing is going to touch EVs and now there's an EV that goes 520 miles on a charge. It's expensive but before long that will be the norm.

I think of it this way, owners are getting the best of it. Would anyone complain if their gas car was recalled with 100k miles and the dealer said we're going to give you a new engine for free? So people with 120 and 130 thousand miles are getting new batteries which is like getting a new car.

Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote