EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-19, 06:46 AM   #51
elozio32
Banned

Did you change the tape?

elozio32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-19, 07:26 AM   #52
ME_Andy
Helper EcoRenovator

I don't know what you mean...
ME_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-19, 10:26 AM   #53
ME_Andy
Helper EcoRenovator

Default K&N reusable air filters

I took the plunge and bought two, infinitely reusable K&N home air filters. The cost was something like $130 but we'll worth it, IMo. They should pay for themselves in about 3 years. They're very heavy and seem well-made. No cardboard here.

The filter efficiency rating is 11, which is at the high end of the residential range. It's almost hospital-grade. The picture shows a comparison of the new K&N against the crappy Tru-Blu I was using before. It's pretty obvious which one will filter better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190808_233126665.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	487.3 KB
ID:	8673  
The Following User Says Thank You to ME_Andy For This Useful Post:
Daox (08-11-19)
Old 08-11-19, 05:52 PM   #54
Daox
Administrator

Awesome! Glad to hear it seems like a good product off right off. Hope to hear more good reports. I'd love to hear how easy they are to clean, how often they need to be replaced, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 08:56 PM   #55
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

"crappy Tru-Blu"

Not sure why you say that. They are decent filters and they don't cost much, 2 for $3, when on sale. They do a good job of protecting the A-coil from getting gunked up without adding additional static pressure(resistance to air flow) when changed out fairly often.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 10:26 PM   #56
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
"crappy Tru-Blu"

Not sure why you say that. They are decent filters and they don't cost much, 2 for $3, when on sale. They do a good job of protecting the A-coil from getting gunked up without adding additional static pressure(resistance to air flow) when changed out fairly often.
I second that opinion. The main filter in a central HVAC system is not meant to be a HEPA filter. They're there to keep the bugs and lint off of the heat exchangers and to cause as little pressure drop as practical. One of the worst things you can do to destroy performance is to put in a filtrete filter in the spot that the factory one came out of. They drop way more pressure than they should and starve the air handler. Everything wears out faster when it runs 30 to 60 percent longer cycles to satisfy the comfort load.

If you feel the need to have super clean air, buy a HEPA filter and use it. That being said, I hope the super hotrod air filter works out for you. I sure hope it doesn't stress out the central HVAC system. I'm sure those things cost a pretty penny when they go south.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-19, 04:45 PM   #57
CrankyDoug
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
One of the worst things you can do to destroy performance is to put in a filtrete filter in the spot that the factory one came out of. They drop way more pressure than they should and starve the air handler. Everything wears out faster when it runs 30 to 60 percent longer cycles to satisfy the comfort load.
I can attest to that fact. I put the largest filter/grill assembly I could find in the return air duct at my mom's house. I figured twice the area would allow me to use the best Filtrete on the shelf.

It created so much pressure drop the 18" round, heavy gage steel return air duct collapsed. And that was on a 1.5 ton unit. I doubt if four times the original filter surface area would have been enough.
CrankyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-19, 10:58 PM   #58
ME_Andy
Helper EcoRenovator

I had a feeling that would be Jeff's opinion. There's an interesting chart here to look up exactly what your filter stops. I'm not convinced TruBlu was even catching most dog hair.

https://www.serviceexperts.com/indoo...our-air-filter
Old 08-14-19, 12:57 AM   #59
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
I had a feeling that would be Jeff's opinion. There's an interesting chart here to look up exactly what your filter stops. I'm not convinced TruBlu was even catching most dog hair.

https://www.serviceexperts.com/indoo...our-air-filter
I just looked it up, it's a FPR 5 / MERV 7 filter. Not sure how you think a pleated filter isn't going to catch dog hair. Here's a link showing it's MERV 7. I get these on sale from a different home improvement store at 2 for $3.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Blu...6201/100352750
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-19, 01:22 AM   #60
ME_Andy
Helper EcoRenovator

The fiberglass kind is worse. And even cheaper than 2/$3, I think