EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-13, 07:45 AM   #81
grayhawk
Lurking Renovator

Thank you for the response. It matches the experience I've had with trying to get any information out of them.

I have most of the command string figured out. I just need to spend the time & capture enough different commands to figure out creation of the checksum at the end.

grayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 02:48 PM   #82
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I finally have some time to go back to playing with the Daikin. Hopefully some progress soon.

On my trawling of the internet I came across this from Danfoss which is interesting for anyone looking to hack inverters:

Inverter-scroll-VRJ - Danfoss

and the manual for controlling the compressor:
http://www.danfoss.com/NR/rdonlyres/...al20111117.pdf

I've also now got my hands on a Panasonic unit so as and when the Daikin is cracked and I'm up for another challenge.....

Acuario
Acuario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 04:40 PM   #83
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

wow

15-75 hz speed range
internal oil injection
permanent magnet motor

My question is: how many wires does it have and can I hack it?

EDIT: On the first link cited above, have a look at the related content document "further technical information". This is how they are making mini-splits nowadays. Main difference: no electronic expansion or check valves indoors. Scary...

Last edited by jeff5may; 01-13-14 at 05:05 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 08:27 AM   #84
digiz
Lurking Renovator

Here are some solutions.
digiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 08:27 AM   #85
digiz
Lurking Renovator

cant post here
Old 04-03-17, 08:28 AM   #86
digiz
Lurking Renovator

https://harizanov.com/2012/02/defrost/

https://harizanov.com/2013/05/re-vam...er-controller/

remote control hach
Old 04-04-17, 04:37 PM   #87
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuario View Post

On my trawling of the internet I came across this from Danfoss which is interesting for anyone looking to hack inverters:

Inverter-scroll-VRJ - Danfoss

and the manual for controlling the compressor:
Danfoss engineers technologies that enable the world of tomorrow to do more with less.
Acuario, I tried both of those links, and they do not appear to be valid URLs

Do they still work from your location??

-AC
Old 04-04-17, 11:41 PM   #88
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Nope, look like they have gone :-(

There are quite a few hacks around simulating remote controls now. Search for IR Blaster. Mostly are for TV's and audio but HVAC ones are appearing too. There are also a number of mini-splits appearing with WiFi connectivity - hope your firewall is working :-)

None yet though are 'pure' hacks to hook in and control the machines directly.
Old 04-06-17, 09:54 AM   #89
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

The Holy Grail

-AC
Old 11-13-17, 01:38 PM   #90
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

After much deliberation I have decided to abandon my efforts to build a controller for an inverter machine.

I achieved my initial goal which was to decode the protocol of a Daikin machine and control it from a PC. It was never installed but I did eventually decode sufficient of the protocol to be able to select the mode, start and stop the external unit and keep it running and monitor various parameters that the machine was sending.

There are several reasons for this which I will explain.
It appears that every manufacturer has their own protocol between internal and external units. I hacked into the Daikin, a Panasonic and a Samsung and each was substantially different. Also different series of machines will almost certainly also have variances. This being the case it is almost inevitable that whatever work I did to 'crack' one machine combination wouldn't work on another combination.

Anyone who wanted to use an inverter would, as such, need to start almost from the beginning. The investigations I have done may help if someone really wanted to try but without a fairly deep understanding of both electronics (for the required interfaces and subsequent controller design) and software engineering for both the protocol analysis and subsequent controller software then it would be a frustrating and disappointing venture.

There are many 'traditional' machines that have fairly basic control capabilities using relays to control valve, fan, compressor, heater available without suffering the frustrations of attempting to use an inverter machine. These provide their own interesting challenges without adding the complexities of multi-tasking operating systems and decoding unknown protocols. These machines, although not the most efficient, should provide sufficient challenge for most people for the foreseeable future.

I'm continuing with my design for a universal heat pump controller using a typical on/off machine and will provide more details in a different thread. As winter is now approaching I'll hopefully be able to refine the defrost detect and defrost a bit more - I'm trying different methods such as differential air pressure and temperature at the moment.

If anyone feels up to the challenge and needs any pointers on inverter control then I'll be happy to let them know what I discovered.

Possibly, in some future, someone will design a universal controller but I think they will need to go to the extreme of controlling the individual items with their own controller rather than hacking into and using what exists.

There are other approaches for the die hard such as maybe using the combination of indoor and outdoor units but with the outdoor unit connected to a heat exchanger rather than the indoor unit. This would involve retaining all of the electronics of the indoor unit and controlling it with, maybe, an IR buster app. I leave it to the hackers imagination....

Acuario

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acuario For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (11-13-17), Daox (11-13-17)