EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-13, 03:38 AM   #61
ELGo
Helper EcoRenovator

An earlier post suggested listening to private companies with money on the line. In general that is a poor idea, but it has merit if the company has not already sunk their money on one side of the debate. I have read that the insurance companies are now refusing to insure East coast real estate that they would have obliged in the recent past.

So clearly they think that floods are going to make the business unprofitable. This speaks to global warming, although not human derived necessarily. OTOH I have never read a skeptic actually predict *when* the warming trend will stop. This is partly because they are in FUD mode, and partly an acknowledgement that no natural forcing of adequate magnitude is peaking.

ELGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 09:01 AM   #62
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default Was it a scam to jack up rates?

That insurance item reminded me of this comment (below).
Insurance companies seem to be in a win-win situation, if they listen to the weather change experts..

Found at this site of old newspaper reports of 1930s era global warming caused disasters.

Defiling The Past | Real Science

"chris y says:
October 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Well, Risk Management Solutions jacked up re-insurance rates based on a 5 year prediction of increased hurricane activity provided by 4 ‘experts’ in an afternoon of tea and crumpets in the Caribbean, just a few weeks after Katrina.

The prediction was not just wrong, but Hansenesque in its wrongness.
The ‘experts’ claimed to be bewildered about how RMS planned to use their prediction!

For RMS, it was a complete success. Never let a crisis go to waste, as they say.

Now tell us all why Munich Re would care about checking the veracity of a scientific ‘claim’ that results in BAU profits if it is right, and windfall profits if it is wrong?
"
Old 04-23-13, 10:34 AM   #63
ELGo
Helper EcoRenovator

Xringer,
Boosting rates when risks remain the same is 'good' for business; in the case I am mentioning the presumption is that no boost will be enough to make the deal profitable for the insurance company.

A similar situation exists for nuclear power plants -- private insurance simply says "no thanks."
ELGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 11:54 AM   #64
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Since the feds sell cheap flood insurance to people living on the banks of the Mississippi, and on beaches in hurricane prone areas,
why not sell government insurance to nuke power companies?
Old 04-24-13, 09:04 AM   #65
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

The Hockey Stick Lives: New Study Confirms Unprecedented Recent Warming Reverses 2,000 Years Of Cooling | ThinkProgress

NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 10:47 PM   #66
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default Awful April: Spring hard to find across northern USA

Awful April: Spring hard to find across northern USA

"April has been a freakishly cold month across much of the northern USA, bringing misery to millions of sun-starved and winter-weary residents from the Rockies to the Midwest.

"The weather map ... looks like something out of The Twilight Zone," Minneapolis meteorologist Paul Douglas of WeatherNation TV wrote on his blog last week.
Record cold and snow has been reported in dozens of cities, with the worst of the chill in the Rockies, upper Midwest and northern Plains"

"•Both Bismarck, N.D., and Pierre, S.D., had their snowiest Aprils on record.

•International Falls, Minn., recorded a low of just 4 degrees April 20. In records dating to 1897, it had never been this cold before this late in April.

•Baton Rouge: The low temperature bottomed out at 39 degrees on the morning of April 20. This was the lowest temperature ever recorded this far into the spring season.

•Sheridan, Wyo.: Had a bone-chilling low of -1 degree on the morning of April 23.

•Amarillo, Texas: The low temperature dropped to 21 degrees on April 24. This is the coldest Amarillo has been this late in the season in records dating to 1892.

•Fargo, N.D.: The first 50-degree or higher temperature reading of the year occurred April 26. Previously, since 1881, Fargo had never had to wait past April 17 to get at least one 50-degree day. "

We've been lucky in the Boston area. It's been getting up into the 70s!
Did 14 miles today and going bike riding again tomorrow!
Old 04-30-13, 03:56 AM   #67
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Human caused climate change is happening

Please remember that climate includes the entire world. The average temperature trend is warmer; and the Arctic ice is melting more and more over time, and the ocean is getting more acidic over time, and the number of high temperature records are now 4-5X more common than the number of record low temperatures. The so-called permafrost is melting. Virtually all the glaciers around the world are melting. Ocean level is rising. Droughts are often more intense and they tend to last longer - and at the same time, there is more water vapor in the air and so precipitation is often more intense, and massive floods are more common.

Anthropogenic climate change is happening, and the FUD is being funded by those who are making profit from fossil fuels.

With allies like this, who needs reality?

http://climatecrocks.com/2013/04/29/...arty-lysenkos/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 04-30-13 at 05:15 AM..
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-13, 07:29 AM   #68
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

I'm just glad I don't live out west this spring..

Denver: Snowstorm, Dramatic Change to Cold in Store

I've already put the snow thrower away and got the lawn mowers ready to rock!
Old 05-03-13, 11:58 AM   #69
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default CO2 ppm Curve

I found this HERE...

Good Luck...

-AC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CO2_CURVE.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	3179  
Old 05-03-13, 12:14 PM   #70
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default I would not want to work at Mauna Loa Observatory

Seems dangerous to me..

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/

Volcanoes release more than 130 million tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere every year. This colorless, odorless gas usually does not pose a direct hazard to life because it typically becomes diluted to low concentrations very quickly whether it is released continuously from the ground or during episodic eruptions. But in certain circumstances, CO2 may become concentrated at levels lethal to people and animals. Carbon dioxide gas is heavier than air and the gas can flow into in low-lying areas; breathing air with more than 30% CO2 can quickly induce unconsciousness and cause death. In volcanic or other areas where CO2 emissions occur, it is important to avoid small depressions and low areas that might be CO2 traps. The boundary between air and lethal gas can be extremely sharp; even a single step upslope may be adequate to escape death.