Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 02-19-17, 03:30 PM   #1
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Does anyone have how to translate this solar stuff

http://www.mississippipower.com/pdf/rates/RENM.pdf

Connecting to the Grid | My Home | Mississippi Power | A Southern Company

I have looked into this . But to me it looks as if if i use x amount and produce x amount i have to produce more than i use to get any benifit

nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-17, 03:50 PM   #2
oil pan 4
Land owner

Don't forget a lot of power companies are charging an additional 20 to 30 just to have the net meter needed for solar power.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-17, 05:46 PM   #3
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I am starting to think off grid in this area may be better than trying to do grid tie.
Old 10-08-17, 07:16 AM   #4
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
I am starting to think off grid in this area may be better than trying to do grid tie.
The best option is an intertie/off grid system. Why run batteries into the ground everyday? My system keeps the batteries topped off and sells excess power back to the grid. This way my batteries last indefinitely and are there when I need them. The energy I sell to the grid is returned at night when I need it. I tell people not to go off grid unless they have no other option.
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robaroni For This Useful Post:
nokiasixteth (10-08-17)
Old 10-08-17, 08:03 AM   #5
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robaroni View Post
The best option is an intertie/off grid system. Why run batteries into the ground everyday? My system keeps the batteries topped off and sells excess power back to the grid. This way my batteries last indefinitely and are there when I need them. The energy I sell to the grid is returned at night when I need it. I tell people not to go off grid unless they have no other option.
Ive since decided to do grid tie with solar edge and power optomizers . P320 and solar edge hd 6000. Had pretty much thought about the microinverters . But after several weeks on youtube and on this site decided the optomizers were going to be what i go with . Will be ordering those on monday from renvu. Unless i find somewhere cheaper to go with.
Had a company try to tell me that the power optomizers may not work and would throw error codes with my ecosolargy 230 watt panels. I couldnt find any where i could 100% confirm this in writing but after looking at the specs i am almost positive that was a sales tactic to make me get emphase from them.

But in the future i may add a small battery bank for backup for small things . The power grid here is very reliable unless you have a bad storm. We didnt even loose power in this little hurricane that just came through last night.
Old 10-08-17, 04:34 PM   #6
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
Ive since decided to do grid tie with solar edge and power optomizers . P320 and solar edge hd 6000. Had pretty much thought about the microinverters . But after several weeks on youtube and on this site decided the optomizers were going to be what i go with . Will be ordering those on monday from renvu. Unless i find somewhere cheaper to go with.
Had a company try to tell me that the power optomizers may not work and would throw error codes with my ecosolargy 230 watt panels. I couldnt find any where i could 100% confirm this in writing but after looking at the specs i am almost positive that was a sales tactic to make me get emphase from them.

But in the future i may add a small battery bank for backup for small things . The power grid here is very reliable unless you have a bad storm. We didnt even loose power in this little hurricane that just came through last night.
My intertie is in about 6 years now. Solar Edge running Bosch 230W modules and a 6k Solar Edge interface. Very efficient!
nokiasixteth (10-08-17)
Old 10-08-17, 04:45 PM   #7
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

here are some screen shots:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	7929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	7930  
nokiasixteth (10-08-17)
Old 02-19-17, 07:22 PM   #8
oil pan 4
Land owner

How much money do you have to spend?
Do you have any related skill sets to solar install or power generation?

First thing you need to do is save as much power as possible. Get all gas appliances, if you already have them great. If not that could get spendy.
That reminds me I need to find a gas dryer.
Insulate the house as much as possible. If you want air conditioning you can pretty much forget about your current machine. Unless you just happened to replace it recently with a high efficiency inverter unit.
It is cheaper to save power rather than install more panels, more battery and a bigger/more inverter(s).
If you don't have natural gas consider solar water heating.

For me to go off grid I would need to cut current electrical use in half and go on about a $15,000 spending spree and that's me installing it my self, I have all the wire and probably all the connectors I would need (budget at least $1,000 for just wire and connectors ) and I already have backup generators (saving $3,000 to $4,000).
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 09:11 AM   #9
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
How much money do you have to spend?
Do you have any related skill sets to solar install or power generation?

First thing you need to do is save as much power as possible. Get all gas appliances, if you already have them great. If not that could get spendy.
That reminds me I need to find a gas dryer.
Insulate the house as much as possible. If you want air conditioning you can pretty much forget about your current machine. Unless you just happened to replace it recently with a high efficiency inverter unit.
It is cheaper to save power rather than install more panels, more battery and a bigger/more inverter(s).
If you don't have natural gas consider solar water heating.

For me to go off grid I would need to cut current electrical use in half and go on about a $15,000 spending spree and that's me installing it my self, I have all the wire and probably all the connectors I would need (budget at least $1,000 for just wire and connectors ) and I already have backup generators (saving $3,000 to $4,000).
Thankfully I do have the electrical skill to do the solar installation and do it all correctly and mostly my self My only thing would be finding time . Unfortunately . I wasn't gifted in Legal terminology also. So this is throwing me for a loopy loop. You say gas appliances . My question is why to me that is kinda robbing peter to pay for paul. Only benifit (other than cost of battery storage is money. Water heating you can use an electrical heat pump or one could go as far as a geothermal water heater.(Not sure if anyone has yet) Cooking can be done with solar. Cooking is the only thing i can see having gas for I have never owned a dryer always have used a clothes line but one could probably design one with solar and maybe a dehumidifier. (only a concept yes more to it than that i know.) My unit right now is just the same one i installed a few years ago cheapy kozy kool 12k inverter unit and i only cool half of the home any ways the other side we dont air condition becuase we dont stay in there. A few winters ago i did design a 12 by 8 solar air heater to keep it warm in there in winter It came on at 9 and off at 3. I believe i posted a picture and some stuff on it . Still planning on just doing geothermal for my heating,cooling and water heating. Have plenty of time to decide on that being current method works.
Old 02-20-17, 09:45 AM   #10
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Mississippi is a late comer to this game. As a result, they have some very twisted rules and rate schedules in place. The newer plans treat excess power and offset power differently than the old plans. The businessmen and lawyers have all the details clarified, classified, and inked out already. No matter what kind of customer you are or generation scheme you employ, they have it spelled out.

Mississippi gets a big fat F from these guys regarding their stance on solar:
https://solarpowerrocks.com/mississippi/
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
oil pan 4 (02-20-17)