EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-15, 05:46 AM   #21
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

OK, here is a little comparison. Norway taxes every barrel of oil that comes out of the ground and has built up a fund now worth a trillion buckos which pays for healthcare and education and retirement for all.

Because of ideology, this kind of "government intervention" was rejected in the US and Canada and now the Alberta govt will probably have to cut hospital, school, roads etc because oil revenues (small as they are) dried up.

We cannot ride out a storm because of an outdated ideology that is there to benefit those with money. Those same big boys have convinced us little folks that to think of the whole population is bad government but who has the better quality of life? Every indicator says the Nordic countries for a reason.

So, Verdigo, yes, I can make an extension from your statement. This is an old a argument and it also applies to healthcare (the USA being the ONLY western country without a socialized healthcare system) but comes from an ideology that is not based on logic and long term thinking. It has become a religion to some extent.

I'm not trying to slag you, but your statement does tell a lot. If I'm wrong, I'm sure you will tell me.

Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 10:49 AM   #22
verdigo
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
Their neighbors don’t benefit from the clean air when more people are using solar power? Big oil gets all kinds of subsidies how do you feel about them?
I am not for subsidizing oil companies just because they exist. In a situation where the government is partnering with an oil company such as oil exploration on public lands, the government should shoulder some of the expense. However should that investment pay off the government should also reap a proportional reward to the investment.

As for my neighbor benefiting from my solar in terms of clean air? I believe all power generation can and should be done with reasonable systems in place to eliminate or reduce to negligible levels their emissions.

I believe we have done this to a great extent, (even with coal) and sure there is always room for improvement. What troubles me is now that most of this stuff has been cleaned up someone has decided that carbon dioxide is a pollutant.

verdigo is offline   Reply With Quote